everyday price on an MM Stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jerry J, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    What is the normal, everyday price that one can get a Stingray 4-stringer for?

I guess the maple board is standard. Is a transparent finish an up charge?
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I've been seeing them marked $1100-1300 in stores for 4's. 5's seem to be $100-250 higher.
  3. As with anything, shop around.

I went into GC a couple times and was never quoted the same price twice.

I finally found a finish I dug at one of the dealers listed over at the MM site and got a brand new SR5 with maple neck and the hard case for $1225.

Rock solid bass!

George :hyper:
  4. supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I think the only upcharge for MM finishes is on the burst finishes. And maybe the sparkles. Transparent (mmmm........ transparent stingray) should not be any extra.
  5. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Thanks guy. That's what I figured.

I ran across a used one that actually was quite nice. It's a '94 with a trans turquiose blue finish. What surprised me was how light it was...I'd say in the 8-9 lbs. range. Plus the neck was a very nice birdseye and flame maple. It appears that who ever had it before has removed the finish of of the back of the neck and the board. Plus the neck felt thinner than I remember SRays being.
  6. Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    I got my SR5 brand new...never played...only taken out of the case for pictures...for $1150 shipped to my door! See if you can guess who I bought it from! ;)
  7. Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Yea, I noticed that a majority of basses, no matter what brand, are about $100-150 extra for every string you add to a standard 4 string set. Just some food for thought.