Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

everyone help me pick a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vivaknoxvegas, Sep 13, 2002.

1. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Ok, here it is...

I think I have narrowed my choice for a 4 string down to a MM Stingray. I have a friend that's selling a used, 95, white on white, maple fretboard, SKB case, for $500. There's also a newer one (not sure what year) at Guitar Center, used, black on black, rosewood fretboard, Washburn hardshell case, for $680.

I really like the maple fretboard on the 95 but I was wondering if 95 Stingrays had any problems or were inferior to the newer Rays (like the black one at GC) - or vice versa.

Also, do MM Rays have adjustable trus rods? I didn't see anywhere to get to it on the headstock.

Thanks for reading.

2. jpwinters

jpwinters Guest

Aug 22, 2002
    Norfolk, Va
    The truss rod adjusts at the neck body joint.

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I would generally trust a used instrument from a friend over one from a store. Which one do YOU prefer? Most feel maple boarded 'Rays have a distinctly different vibe than rosewood.

4. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I played the newer one at GC and it was pretty sweet IMO. The 95 I need to get restrung and set up a bit.

I just mainly need to know if one is any better than the other, more valuable, easier to sell down the road, etc.

What kind of different vibe?

Jpwinters, thanks. I see it now.

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    generally, ime, a maple board is going to give you a snappier attack than a rosewood board, all other things being equal.

i'd definitely go with the white one from your friend.

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    See? A perfect time to learn how to do your own setups! ;)

I don't think there's any major difference in value or general quality between the two. I think the '95 would be more likely to have some birdseye in the neck maple, which many people consider to be desirable. And the white one won't show fingerprints!

Don't forget a maple board may require more involved maintenance than rosewood.

7. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN

Yeah, I do most of it HeavyDuty but I usually get someone else to set my intone. What's birdseye and what kind of maintenance with the maple board?

8. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Anyone else have an opinion??

9. RobOtto

RobOtto

Aug 15, 2002
    Denton, TX
  10. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Cool, thanks for the pic. What is best to use on maple necks/boards to clean and keep them conditioned?