Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Everyone help with input...(new gear)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ahhhson, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Ahhhson

Ahhhson Guest

Jun 5, 2003
    ALBANY NY 518
    THis is what im considering:
    Hardcore band that plays more DIY (do it yourself, medium size rec halls) with two heavy guitars and a pounding drummer aka im on my own

Ampeg SVT3-Pro head
    Ampeg SVT810e cab
    Sansamp DI Box (already own)
    Ernie Ball Stingray 4 (already own)

What does everyone think? will it be powerful enough? SOund good for thay style?

Tube amps are just too expensive, at least this one has a tube preamp.
    If anyone wants to recommend an equivalent amp ( tube or ss) feel free. Im pretty set on the cab though....

2. How about the SVT-Classic? That amp with the SVT cab seems to be a pretty standard hardcore rig that sounds good and cuts through.

3. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    IME, the SVT3 is a bit weak. Maybe something like a B4R, SVT-4, or SVT Classic if you're looking to stay Ampeg. I would honestly go SVP-Pro preamp into a QSC RMX or Carvin DCM power amp. A lot of people around here run something similar to that and get great results.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    if you really must go ampeg i agree that you should stay svt classic or svt-2 or the svt pro preamp

i use an alembic and a demeter pre through a stewart 2.1 into bagend 12 and 15 cabs
    with a sans am i can get a pretty evil tone in it's own right
    not entirely ampeg, but it's in the ballpark
    (loud too)

5. submelodic

submelodic

Feb 7, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    I agree with Eric. Based on the band you describe, you'll want more power. The SVT3 sounds great, but you'll likely be looking to replace it sooner that you may think.

6. Ahhhson

Ahhhson Guest

Jun 5, 2003
    ALBANY NY 518
    if i were going witht he power amp and preamp which Qsc model would be sufficient?

7. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    if your on a tight budget, then go with a Carvin R1000 head. i use that with the ampeg 8x10, and it kills. two guitarists couldnt hold me down. and i actually prefer the tone of the carvin over the tone of my drummers ampeg head which is now collecting major dust in his garage!