Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Everyone"....PLEASE Read This....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deynn, Apr 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I have been getting MANY complaints about blanket statement opinions concerning bass brands. Such as.....
    "I'd never buy that bass"....or "so and so bass sucks."
    Please...let's try to limit our opinions to basses, with which we have had personal experience. And when giving an opinion......gives reasons for THAT opinion.
    In the future.....those "blanket statement" posts....WILL disappear....;)
    This does NOT pertain to poking a bit of fun at times. But I trust that most of us know where the line is crossed. A humorous post WILL be taken in context.
    This is mainly to help newbies, who are looking to us for "reliable" information. Let's do out best to give them.....
    exactly THAT.

Thanks!!

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Although I haven't recieved any complaints on my part, I will follow your example, Deynn. I have this great fear that someday the Ampeg vs. SWR thread will return in a new form... oh the horror.

(Stick this to the top if you haven't already, you as a mod can do that.)

3. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Thanks!.....Those of us who have been around TB for a while...understand to ignore those kind of statements. But when a new person asks..."How about a Fender MIM Jazz?" If someone says..."Oh no...Fender sucks!" well, that person could be new themselves, but the person asking the question doesn't know that. So they might believe such a statement.
    I guess I am just trying to protect the innocent...:D

4. A very legitimate concern Denynn.
    I remember when I first started "hanging" on tb and some of the brand bashing negative comments.Luckily I did`nt have to endure too many but I can see where it is working contrary to a beginner`s best interest.
    I usually confine my opinions to what I have expearience or pass on info that I have read from others.....

You get a gold star in your folder for this one! :D

5. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I agree. A lot of people when they post don't give very detailed questions, and I've had personal experiences of getting angered at someone because I've posted a thread about a specific bass and all they've said was "That sucks" or something.

I mean, I understand people aren't obligated to respond, but if you're going to atleast give a intelligent response...

There's my 2 cents on the subject.

6. Once again thanks to the moderators.
    :)

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    This thread sucks. :D

Anyway, it should go the other way too. If you like the bass, say why. Its just more helpful that way.

8. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Absolutely right, Angus! :)

9. I agree wholeheartedly! I find it totally irresponsible to trash an entire line (or brand) of products just because the poster happens to have had a bad experience with it (or worst, because he/she THINKS he/she HEARD something negative about it). That's right in there with guitarist or drummer bashing. Just because your guitarist is an idiot, doesn't mean they all are. (And why would you be in a band with a guitarist who's a loser to begin with?) Ok... I'm getting sidetracked here. I'm gone. Hasta la vista!

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It is refreshing to see the Moderators take this stance.

It gets so old seeing people post 'Xxxxx sucks' and then you find out later that they have never played the bass or sometimes even the brand in question.

I may have been guilty a little in the past, but I strive to point out WHY I don't like a bass or think it is a poor choice instead of just saying 'Oh! That sucks! You should try this bass instead.'.

11. Is this going to lead to Fieldy bashers having to give good complete reasons as to why they hate him? Just jokeing.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    So now on, if I want to say something sucks, I have to give a reason? Like [whatever] sucks, because it really blows?

13. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    You got it! :)

14. ka-tet

ka-tet

May 2, 2000
    I don't really agree with any of this. If someone regardless of their experience wants to say something sucks without offering why, I don't have a problem with it. I don't think "newbies" need any special protection. They can get "sheltering" from their mommies. The majority of every subject on this or any forum is opinion based and everything should be taken with a grain of salt. If any reader is smart enough to work the computer they're typing on than they should be smart enough to know that what is right for some is not right for everyone. Whenever someone posts one of those "which is better" or "is this any good" threads it inevitably ends or begins with someone replying with "try them out for yourself and decide which one suits YOU best". It's as simple as that. There shouldn't be any reason for someone to have to defend their opinions in this forum so that their post doesn't get deleted. If I were to say Sadowsky's suck and then didn't say why, I wouldn't be saying it to offend anyone and it shouldn't unless you happen to be Roger Sadowsky. If he called me on it I might feel compelled to tell him why. Otherwise, opinions negative or positve, should never be taken personally.

15. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    This is NOT to protect anyone's feelings. It is to stop the ongoing FALSE information in posts. Or, NO information at all.
    If you don't know anything about a partcular bass, then DON'T comment on it. This is NOT negotiable at this point.
    I'm not a "newbie"....but if I ask about a certain brand of bass...I expect more than just..."it sucks".
    All you are doing at that point is showing your own ignorance.
    But if you truly believe that it sucks....tell me WHY!
    And why WOULD you comment on a bass, about which you know nothing?????

16. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Basically, Ka-Tet, its to make sure nobody has a bias - towards or against - a specific brand.

Without reason:

"Ibanez is good. Yamaha blows."

With reason:

"Ibanez is good because Fieldy plays them. I've tried 1 $150 Yamaha, and i didn't like it, so all the rest must be trash too."

Make more sense now? If you know what their reasons are, you know more whether to pay attention to their opinion or not.

17. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Free speech includes the right to say something completely uninformed, with no factual basis or rationale; to make a fool of yourself. Your objective in urging those participating here to be thoughtful in what they post is understandable. However, don't impose "regulations" directed at content. I think you should trust the membership to figure for out for themselves whether something posted is valid and relevant. They certainly have in the past. This is a wonderful website. It's all good.

18. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I look at it like this. An unqualified condemnation to suckiness essentially amounts to a simple vote. For example, if I say "Ibanez sucks," everyone out there who respects my opinion will note that "Munjibunga feels that Ibanez sucks" and, knowing my gestalt from other posts, can decide for themselves whether it means anything or not. It's just my way of casting a vote, much like we all do in the polls posted here. Only I don't need no steeenking poll to cast a vote, I can vote any time, any place. There's a lot more information in that simple statement than meets the eye.

I submit that my "Ibanez sucks" is regarded quite differently than, say, BerkleeBoy's "Ibanez sucks." While he glibly dismisses Ampeg amplifiers as "overrated," nobody is going to change their opinion of Ampeg over it. If I said the same thing, SWR's sales would go up dramatically. Get my point?

So I don't feel that I should have to qualify my "Ibanez sucks" with a "because they really blow" statement. That's just how I feel. That's all.

19. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    ... I'm just mad about voting, voting's mad about me ...

20. I don't think this has anything to do with free speech. You are still allowed to post unhelpful posts but this thread I beleive is a plea to stop unhelpful posts.

Of course what if something sucks because it blows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.