Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Everyone that uses MS Windows. READ!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DarkMazda, Apr 10, 2003.

1. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
  2. What? windows has a security issue? and here i thought it was perfect. most people have probably seen this, but for those who haven't.....and yes i know it probably never happened. no physics lesson required.

At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated, "If GM had kept up with the technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25.00 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon."
    In response to Bill's comments, General Motors issued a press release
    stating: If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:

1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a new car.

3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull over to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue. For some reason you would simply accept this.

4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.

5. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive -- but would run on only five percent of the roads.

6. The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single "This Car Has Performed An Illegal Operation" warning light.

7. The airbag system would ask "Are you sure?" before deploying.

8. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.

9. Every time a new car was introduced, car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

10. You'd have to press the "Start" button to turn the engine off

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

No need to rush.
    You have to realize that this issue has been running for 3 years now, without major damages.
    Security issues are found all the time and system updated on a regular basis.

4. that gm bill gates thing is great!!!!! :D

5. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I personally think that GM thing sounds terribly bitter. And rather uninformed as well.

But thanks for the heads up DM I updated right away.

6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Considering the products MS makes and the nature of the insult, I'd be pretty bitter at Bill Gates too.

7. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

MS does not make bad stuff. Yeah they have had problems but give me a break every company does. MS bashing is so old and many of the arguments against them don't even hold water anymore. I mean I am personally not a big microsoft fan but I also like to look at the facts...thats all. But if it's all in good fun it's no biggie.

8. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga

Capitalism in action.

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    actually, when cars were only 10 or 20 years old, they were much less reliable than even windows.

10. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

:confused: I don't get it.

11. this is an OOOOOOLLLLLLDDDDD email from the days of when @ was called the "funny-lookin A Thing". IT is humor people, not a press release from GM. Bob Lutz, current CEO of GM, would say this about it: "Oh yeah, Gates? You're a dork."

12. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga

Microsoft has now been subjected to a decade-long string of government investigations, decrees, lawsuits and court rulings that have violated its rights, caused a brain drain among its employees and destroyed a substantial portion of the company's market value.
    The Microsoft case symbolizes the essence of all antitrust cases: the government penalizes a large, successful company, not because it broke contracts, defrauded suppliers or bilked customers—but solely because it is large and successful. It may be hard for the public to believe that a business could be punished, not for any corrupt behavior, but for what should be regarded in a free society as virtuous activity. It may be hard to believe that a business could be prosecuted simply for being so much better than its competitors at producing wealth in a free market.

13. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Ok well there are two sides to this. MS *did* engage in some highly suspect business practices, the most well known probably being acts such as making netscape navigator incompatible with windows (back during the IE browser wars) and buying small companies with new technology and squelching them to eliminate competition. Now yes...I do personally believe that the whole govt. intrusion into MS got way out of hand but we can't really talk about that because politics are banned ;)

14. windows is full of problems that other os's don't have. my father bought a brand new computer a couple of years ago. it came with windows ME loaded on it. what a joke. he couldn't even install his 3-year old printer on it. it would not run. he has to restart it so many times daily because it stalls or other problems come up.

ever heard the phrase "don't put your eggs in one basket"? that's exactly what they did with the registry. all the information about your software and hardware in one file. as you install and uninstall and reinstall stuff, usless code gets built up in the registry, slowing down your computer.

windows machines have to be restarted periodically just to clear all the crap out of memory. a friend of mine runs linux and can leave it running for weeks at a time without any problems

if you have more than one windows program open, they all share the DLL's. if one crashes, it can easily bring others down with it, or require a restart.

linux programs run completely independently of each other. one stalls, you can always end it without problems.

i use windows. i have to. to share the files i need for school, i'm stuck with it, but i also have linux on my computer. mandrake, to be exact. it's faster, doesn't waste resources, and it doesn't cost $300. it's free.

legal schmegal. windows is out of date.

15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you don't work much with xp, do you? :)

16. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Hmm, speaking of Microsofts claim to GM being able to produce a better vehicle if they wanted to, does anybody remember the Tucker automobile. It could have blown anything off the road that GM, Ford, or Chrysler was building at the time, yet the company got screwed over big time so the big 3 could keep their monopoly. You don't read about that one very much in the history books. Personally, I think cars are over priced myself. (with the exception of Kia's, which the average person can actually afford) I would never pay full price for a vehicle unless I was making mucho denero.

all imho of course though.

17. I think the anti-microsoft thing holds a great deal of water. To say Microsoft do not make bad stuff is pretty inaccurate. If you knew the trouble I've had with MS programs you'd understand. They change Java specification for their own compilers, they use non-standard libraries for both C++ and Java, their OSs always consider themselves the only OS and overwrite the bootloader with a non-multiple-OS bootloader, their new software takes over your computer, Palladium will ensure they know and control exactly what you use, windows < 2000 all crash all the time (and MS blame third party software if you contact them...), none of their 'good' OSs are very backwardly compatible, networking on all microsoft OSs is terrible and their software is always overpriced. Do Microsoft make bad software? Yes.

18. What's Mandrake like? I'm using Red Hat 7.1 (old, I know) at the moment and feel like a change...is it a customisable install? (Essentially, can I stick configure the partitions manually? I know Mandrake was originally the easy to install distro)

19. No, i don't, because I don't have enough ram for that memory hog. or cash.

20. David Watts

David Watts

Aug 12, 2002
    seattle
    I have intimate knowledge of the lawsuits that MS has been a part of these last 5+ years. I work for a law firm that has represented MS, in certain capacities, in every one of the major lawsuits that MS has been a party to.
    Thanks to companies suing MS, I have been able to pay, in cash, for every piece of musical equipment I own.:D