Everyone thinks bass is so easy

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by VinnyP666, Aug 19, 2002.

1. VinnyP666

Aug 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Y does eveyone think bass is such an easy instrument. "its only got 4 strings, I could do that"

Or sometimes u get guitarists that suck, so they decide they think they can play bass. Like its no big deal and its easy as hell.

ANd my drummer always tells me jus to make up a bass line, like it takes 2 measly seconds.
  2. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    Like you said... because it's only got 4-strings. So it MUST be easier. I think if they'd actually try it they'd find it's not as easy as it looks.
  3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    who cares what everyone else thinks? that shouldn't be an issue.
  4. on the nose there jt.

(elightened buddha like voice on)

you must look deep inside your self for the true bass, the pure bass, the only real bass.

(i don't think i'm gonna turn that voice off i kinda like it)
  5. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Well, in the sense it only has four strings, then yes, it is easier.

To get a good tone out of your bass IMHO, you need to be able to push down on the strings of your bass harder than you would on a guitar. In other words it does take a bit more physical strength.

Example; how many guitarists pick up a bass, start trying to play a million notes, and none of them have any clarity? Because they're not used to having to push down on the heavier strings.

Bottom line-electric bass is just a whole different beast.

Like JT said too; who cares anyway, it shouldn't be an issue.
  6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    why do people think bass is easy?

because it is easy....duh!

7. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    jt, youre basses dont apply...id like to see a guitarist call YOUR basses easy to play.....

You just humour us dont you?

8. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    See my sig. :p

Nah, but bass really IS easy... if you decide to play easy things.
  9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Sorry to wear out a tired ol phrase, but listen to Jaco and then say that.
  10. See when people say that, invite them to your computer, play "White Knuckle Ride" and ask them, "Is that easy enough for you?":p "Axiom" or "Maxwell Murder" works, too. It's really not easier. Tell them to play a jazz or blues line up and down the neck while singing. It takes a lot of practice. I've seen my dad do it with practice.

But if you're like me, JT, and a few other TB'rs then just shrug it off. Who cares about lowlifes like that.
  11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    shh...they get upset when you say that :D
  12. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I think playing bass is as challenging as you challenge yourself.
  13. jieshi

Mar 26, 2002
    bass is easy to learn

hard to master ... !

just my 2 cents
  14. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    It's easier to suck, I guess.
  15. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Playing the bass can be very easy. It depends on how far you want to take it.
  16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    That used to be the slogan for the game Othello.... "A moment to learn & a lifetime to master." :)
  17. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Well, I think when people say that it's easier, they are referring to the fact that it musy be, because there are fewer strings(I've heard that same statement before myself-there's only four strings, isn't it easier then?)

You could also add Jeff Berlin, John Entwistle, Geddy Lee to the list of those who choose 4 strings-it's not what they got, it's how they use what they've got :)

That phrase also works well for guys with small appendages. Do I speak from experience? Well, I'll plead the 5th there :eek:
  18. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    and i thought we got rid of whiny threads...

19. I think that bass is easier to "get by" on, but i think it is much harder to master then guitar. I dont think that someone should choose an insterument based on the skill required, though, it should be based on the sound it produces and how enjoyable it is to play. Some people dont do that and choose bass because its "easier".
  20. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Hmm. I don't think the really good bass players ever get this.

Maybe it's you. Maybe you're not playing anything to make them think it's all that difficult.