Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by I.'.I.'.Nakoa, Apr 15, 2001.

1. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    hey , i ahve a question for anyone who will answer this. its really easy, im just curious on what amps you use, like specs and stuff, and when playing live how do you set them?

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Ampeg SVT-4 --> Bag End 4x10+1x18.

All set flat. I only adjust on my bass. Sometimes i have to cu some bass though, because at loud volumes it can get overly boomy.

Theres a good tip: When turning up, gradually remove bass, or you shoot your speaker out of the cabinet!
  3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Peavey Firebass2 + Peavey 810tx cabinet.

I run the amp eq flat. All my adjustments come from the bass and from my Tech 21 Sans Amp Bass Driver DI.

I also cut the bass a little when I have to really crank it, but I usually don't have to go that loud with it.
  4. Aguilar DB680 preamp-> Eden WT1000 poweramp-> Eden 210XLT and 410XLT cabs. I'll sometimes leave the 210 at home for smaller venues.

I run the power amp flat. The preamp has a bass boost and treble boost which I use for both of my Lakland 55-94 fretted and fretless. The preamp also has a pretty involved mid-range section where you can enhance or eliminate certain frequencies. I don't have the amp here with me so I can't tell you how I have that set up but I do know I have one section set to eliminate a certain mid to low frequency and I have another section that enhances a broader mid-range frequency.

I'm sure that doesn't make any sense but there you go. :)
  5. Peavey Max pre-amp -> Mackie 1400i into a

Peavey 412 TVX , or
    Peavey 210 TXF + Peavey 115 BX

Pre-amp eq'd flat, tube and s.s. channel blended evenly. Power amp full up, run bridged (1400 w) into the 412 or dual-channel mono (500 w per side) into the 210 and 115.

I am really happy with my gear.

6. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    hey, thanks for the replies! heres mine.. i havent got to play out with it yet, but heres how i have it set when i jam wiht the bands

hartke ha3500-
    1 ampeg 412 (its almost as tall as an 810, and as wide as a doorway!) and a peavey 115 bw

tube pre amp gain set at 10
    solidstate pre amp gain at 0
    compressor set at 8
    graphic eq-

30 hz (-15)
    64 hz (-6)
    125hz 15
    250hz 7
    500hz 2
    1khz (-15)
    3khz 2
    5khz 7
    8khz 15

the bass contour set at about 1/2 way inbetween 5 and 10
    the treble contour set at 5
    and volume never is up above 2

i like the way it sounds and it fits the 3 styles of the 3 bands im in =)

( i usually put the 15 on the bottom, i was just tired and put it on the top cause its lighter than the ampeg)
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

At gigs, Eden Metro 200 watt 2x10 combo set totally flat, although in some rooms it needs a little tweaking.

At church, SWR Basic Black, enhance set at 9 o'clock, bass and treble flat, mids +3db.
  8. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Sansamp Bass Driver DI set very low into a 600 watt Peavey PA system.

Thats my amp.
  9. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Peavey Firebass II --> Peavey 410 TVX

Low = 6 - 7
    Mid = 4
    High = 6

On bass: Low = 9, Mid = 5, High = 6

I change the bass tone depending on the song though.
  10. Ampeg B25 head (55 Watt tube amp), Peavey 1-15 ported cab with Altec Lansing 421A woofer.

Volume at 10 o'clock, bass at 1 o'clock, treble at 11 o'clock (12 o'clock on the tone controls is flat response).

On my recently rebuilt Fender Bassman 10 (supposedly 70 Watt tube amp, although it is probably only 50-60)amp running through 2 Altec 421A 15's in closed cab, I set the Bass at about 5, the mid's at about 4 and the treble at about 4.

The tone on my Jazz is always at 3-4 and both pickups are full on. Real old style creamy low sound.

11. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Wow Throb I had that same exact rig about 14 years ago, I had a late 70's B25 and a 1 15 PV cab.
    I wish I kept it. I bet your rig sounds nice!!!!!
    Now I run a Ampeg SVT3 set flat depending on the room and the bass I bring, I do like a little more mids though, and a Ampeg 1 15 cab and a 2 10 cab.
  12. 1976 Ampeg SVT through an SWR Goliath III. Ch.1 Fingerstyle: Mids boosted 3-4dB @ 800Hz. Ch. 2 slap (not very often) Ultra LO in, treble -3 dB. It slays! I'm gonna get a Henry the 8x8, to replace the Goliath.
  13. muzfuz

Oct 2, 2000
    Hartke 3500 w/ 410TP Cab (replacing it soon)
    Tube- 7
    Solid State 8.5
    Compression- 3.5
    High- 3
    Low- 8
    equalizer-- smiley face (kind of)

I also use a Fender BXR 100 (actually only when I have to) and I've got a Peavey XR 600B (210W@4OHMS / 300W@2OHMS-- 2 Peavey something cabs...)-- but I gig with my Hartke, even though I COULD use the Peavey (forget the fender)

I'm selling it all... just keeping the Hartke Head. Need money for college... but i'll use some of it to buy a new cab.
  14. P bass through a Fender Bassman 100. Cut the bass a bit, boost low mids a bit. Groove.
  15. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Trace Elliot V4 head and Hartke 4x10 (no name 1x15 sometimes). EQ flat with Deep and Bright switches on.

Hartke 1415 EQ flat and contour switch on limiter on.

Stingray 5 mostly 'flat' but treble and bass maxed with mids on min when I feel like it.

Thumb fretless mostly 'flat' but bridge pu only and treble min when I feel like it.
  16. Cool man. My B25 rig is definitely a one trick pony, but the one trick it does is a good one. :D If I need more volume, I use this:

100Watt Ampeg V4B and Fender 4x12 cab. Did someone say Mid-Bass?

17. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i have an old ampeg cab. one speaker 10" one speaker 15" and a tweeter. and i have an much older head. it's an all tube eko herald III rated at 130w. the controls are volume, bass and treble. i set the bass at half and the treble at quarter. volume at 2 because the amp is really really loud.
  18. I play a Squier BP15. 15 watts, 8" speaker.
    The EQ knobs go from -15 to +15 with 0 at the top. I think others just go from 0 to 10?

Low: 10 o clock (at about -7)
    Mid: 7 o clock (at -15)
    High: 2 o clock (about +7)
    Volume: anywhere from 5-11. Yes, 11. I wrote 11 with a marker.

On my P bass, I set volume to max and tone to treble.
    On my Jazz, I set the neck pickup to 7, the bridge to 10 and tone from 5-10.
  19. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I want a bass, why are you setting the compressor at 8? Talk about a tone ruiner... not to mention lose of ALL dynamics, and a lot of volume. Yuck!
  20. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I play through a Carvin Cyclops. EQ flat. Tone controls all in middle. Bass boost on. Biamped at 800 hz. Low volume set to 3:00, high volume set to 9:00. Master volume is set to 12:00 and I control the volume with my bass (usually about 50% is fine with guitarists Ampeg 1/2 stack and drums). I think the compressor is on, but I don't remember how I set that. The noise gate is off. The tube blend is also typically off.... I guess I am more into the cold zombified frozen veggie sound than a "warm" tube sound. :p I don't use any effects. I control my tone with my tone control on my bass primarily and that is enough for me. I have only used this rig in practice as I have never actually played live amplified.

I have played live acousticly with my Rogue ABG 305, my guitarist with a Fender Concord, and singing unassisted. Now that was fun.