1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Everyone's Doing it(Tried out some new basses)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rick_no7, Jan 3, 2007.

1. I went to GC today and finally it was a day when people WAY better than I was not in the bass section taking up all the amps and cool basses.

Fretless Corvette
    ----------------
    I have not had much experience with a fretless, only a few times have I dabbled with them. I have made advances in my technique since the last time I played. The Corvette sounded exactly like I expected it to. A bit aggressive, but it had tons of mwah goodness to it. Another thing was I tried some harmonic stuff I've learned. I am nowhere near "Portrait of Tracy" in skill, but this Corvette gave out some incredible harmonics. It made me sound good :p

MIM Fender P-bass
    -------------------
    I'm not a Fender fan, but this Mexican P impressed me. It was black with a white pickguard, nothing out of the ordinary, the usual drab Fender look. The sound though was just oozing with motown goodness. I played a little "My Girl" on it, and some other stuff, and the sound was really good. The last few MIM P-basses i played sounded thin, but this thing had alot of heft to it. I've been having gas for a P-bass sounding instrument since I am currently playing alot of Motown at home for practice.

Bongo HS
    ----------
    I have tried out a few Bongos before, but they all had the same problem. They were HH"s and for some reason that is the most uncomfortable pickup combination known to me. Warwick Double $'s are the same way. Finally, I came across a Bongo HS, and I didn't hesitate to get it off the rediculously high wall and play it. The set up was HORRIBLE. But even with that, the sound was amazing. This Bongo had BAWLS. It was like a P-bass x10, and the Single coil in front gave it definition. I played it flat and found I didn't need to make any adjustment... I didn't need to, but I couldn't help to. I boosted the mids and got one of the best thick, punchy tones I've ever gotten out of a bass.

Very impressed.

Well that's the only 3 I was surprised with when I went there. Just thought I'd share my findings.

2. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    Dunno what it is, but the neck pickups on MM basses (HH or HS) really get in my way. I guess they are closer to the neck than on a J bass style.

3. Shelly

Shelly

Jul 12, 2006
    Brighton, Michigan
    I had the same issue with the Bongo basses. The HH didn't bother me so much, for whatever reason. I'd love an HH!