1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Everyone's Favorite Eq Settings

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Jason Harris, Oct 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jason Harris

Jason Harris

Jan 17, 2017
    Let's discuss how everyone sets up their Eq, be it live to home or a studio
    I personally boost mids and bit of treble based of the room

2. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    I boost or cut some low pillowy frequencies.

3. derrico1

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    I boost or cut some mid frequencies for meat or honk.

4. derrico1

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    I boost or cut some high frequencies for zing.

5. derrico1

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    I boost or cut some higher frequencies for air.

6. derrico1

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    ;)

7. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    I adjust for the room.. don't got no favs !

8. Thumb n Fingers

Thumb n Fingers

Dec 15, 2016
    BIG smiley :). Slapalicious.

9. rymiraflores

rymiraflores

Jan 17, 2009
    on a 1 - 10 scale
    Bass 3-4
    Mids 7-8
    Treble 0

10. First thing I do is turn the treble knob right off.

tlc1976, pcake and Thumb n Fingers like this.
  11. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Using Markbass,so all controls are usually set flat,and the vpf and the vle turned off completely with most basses/rooms. My 4000 bass is a bit lacking in low end,so when i use that bass,i tweak the vpf up a bit. So much simpler than most bass amp control options,which i tend be forever tweaking trying to get right.

bassomane, DirkP, Mertle72 and 2 others like this.
  12. Thumb n Fingers

Thumb n Fingers

Dec 15, 2016
    That's funny. I do the same thing when I'm playing fingerstyle. I like a thick bassy sound with some midrange. For slap, though, I kick up the lows and highs, dialing down the mids. I like both "settings" , equally,for the different things I play, even though they are night and day different.

ZenG likes this.
  13. stigbeve

stigbeve

Sep 24, 2014
    All 12 o'clock and slightly adjust low mids for the room.

14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Start s close to flat as my amp will do. Then I do my best to bump some low mids. Dime my tone knob (all passive basses) and go from there.

15. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    I like to keep the amp mostly flat, I use a little boost on the treble and a little too moderate boost at 120hz or so. Bass on the amp is rolled back, I like the bass frequency my on board preamp is voiced at better.

The bass itself is: slight boost on bass, treble usually flat. Mids gain and frequency vary depending on the room and what sounds I am trying to cop.

16. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    With a new amp I generally set it close to "flat" based upon what I can find out about the tone stack and using my ear, and then I'll typically make minor adjustments from there depending on my needs at the time. Currently I'm just boosting a little bit on the semi-parametric mids at a frequency that helps my placement in the mix with a couple of loud guitars.

17. AztecViking

AztecViking Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2010
    EndlessSummerVille, CA
    I'm usually on Markbass gear but I always flatten it first in a new room and tweak accordingly. Commonly the mids and highs get a tiny boost but it can vary slightly depending on both the room dynamics and sound of the other players.

The three band EQ's on my Stingray 5's commonly stay flat but I'll also sometimes give them some slight adjustment.

Asides from volume I never payed attention to what any of the knobs and switches really do on my G&L L2000 do so EQ-wise I'm clueless to what's going on with that one. I love the tones I get out of it though. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    TrevorR likes this.
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I could tell you my settings, but they always change depending on the room and what amp or bass I use, and other people's EQ's will never directly translate to your setup.

19. flam

flam

Sep 20, 2010
    Tempe, Arizona
    On a three knob eq I usually set bass a little above 5, mid at 10, and treble at 5. If I have a graphic I like two bumps, one close to 500, and one close to 800. Cut a hair of 250 sometimes, and cut some 1000. Everything else is flat. Not that those numbers mean anything to anybody that isn't me.

20. Fender Rumble v3, default is shown, then refinements during first tunes to adjust for room conditions.
    bass-11:30AM, low mids-2:00PM, hi mids -1:30PM, treble -11:00AM.
    P-bass tone knob: about 75% full on.