1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

everyones talking about prices on Fenders, has everyone Warwicks!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkmangriff, Apr 18, 2009.

1. funkmangriff

funkmangriff

Dec 29, 2007
    just checked out how much a Streamer Stage 1 was coz i WANT ONE SOO BAD!!!!

my jaw hit the ground - £2149!!!!!

Last year i could get one for £1300!!!!

i got a corvette $$ payed £700 for it, now its £1099!!!!

first thing thats come to mind is SELL SELL SELL, make a profit, buy an American Fender 5 String Jazz.

Don't really wanna start a rant, but everones always on about the 'harsh' rise in prices of fenders, well if fenders is 'harsh' then i think warwick are trying to kill of the GAS gland, and thats just......... WRONG!!! hehehehe

any thoughts anyone

2. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Can't explain it myself, and I wonder about this too. A lot of the manufacturers have jacked prices. But for some strange reason Fender is the only one that is apparently supposed to be giving away their basses.....

3. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    I think there are a LOT of people who want to buy a Fender, and they are mad because it's gonna' cost 'em more than they had hoped. Fenders are quite popular and I'm sure they outsell all other brands by a fair amount. That, IMO, is why the outrage about Fender's prices here on Talkbass. I'm sure there are plenty of people who are upset at price increases by G&L, Warwick, etc. Just not enough folks to start a riot. ;)

By the way, wow, Warwick's prices sure have shot upwards, haven't they?

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I truly believe manufacturers need to raise pricess, but given the stress on consumers, sales are just going to tank for a while. It is just how the business cycle goes.:atoz:

5. WRXbase

WRXbase

Jan 14, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    It's also why you're seeing a lot of "FT/FS" basses. New w/o being new. :)

6. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Soon as prices go back down I`m grabbing myself a $$!

7. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Historically, this almost never happens.

8. I wouldn't count on grabbing one then. In 35 years of playing I've seen only one brand drop their prices one time.

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Warwick prices have goine through the roof. Yesterday, I saw a fretless Corvette for $1299 at GC. These bad boys were $799 just last winter.:eek:

10. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Easy solution: Buy used.

11. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    I couldn't agree more, I have absolutey NO reason to buy a brand new bass...

12. sarnz

sarnz

Oct 6, 2008
    They know this will happen. Therefore, for a while, everyone will be buying used. Right now people are selling for more because they think they will get more. So once all these used basses have found homes or have reached a price close enough to the new fenders, then people will have no choice but to buy new. Yes there are a lot of copies. Fender is probably also trying to distinguish themselves from that. And they know that the name means a lot, so people WILL pay the new prices in time.

By doing this price hike now, when assets are worth more (but selling cheaper because people need money), all the used basses will be hitting the market for cheap (compared to new). As the economy rebounds, assets are worth less, so selling would be not as good of an idea. So what's left? If you want a Fender, you'll have to buy it new!

Ok, so that's me pretending that I have actually learned something about economics these last 4 years I've been at school.

13. Who?? . . . just out of curiosity.

14. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    I bought a bolt on Thumb 4 string in 2002 with a hard case for $1000.... new they go for $2559!

Seems like a good investment :smug:

15. First off I think we ought to take up woodworking and create our own basses. Think of the variety of designs that would be available......mind numbing!

It's all about cash flow folks. It has become the norm for manufacturers of any kind to operate on a line of credit. Guess where the credit went? The manufacturer now has to pass on the true cost of operating (with greatly reduced credit). Some companies manage their finances better than others and this is reflected in the cash on hand that is available to these better managed companies. There is the simple concept of keeping a prudent reserve but this appears to be a futile idea because companies are made up of investors and they usually want to see a return within the 5 year cycle and then you give away unsecured loans which in turn get sold off because the lenders want their investment really quick and then, then you pick your axe and practise your chops and everything comes back to the FUNDAMENTAL.......play your axe well no matter what your axe is. PEACE

16. 1299 is about 100$ more than normal price last year. 799$ was a kind of blowout price, anyway from what I recall people in the US saying last year. Here in Canada, prices haven't change. Meaning that we sell thumb BO 5's 200 CAD lower than the price in USD (aka 2500 CAD vs 2700 USD, via MF) even if our dollar is 0,80 USD atm.

17. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

The store I frequent locally has about a dozen $2000-4000 Warwicks on the wall. They may have moved a few on the last year+.

Warwicks may go up in price, but IMO they don't sell unless they are LE or non-standard basses OR on sale.

18. The raw materials for the product I produce has skyrocketted. Not only that, many suppliers have gone out of business. Instead of picking up the phone and ordering what I need, I have to cruise eBay or take what the supplers have. I'm having to stockpile stuff that I never, EVER did before. I'm not at all suprised by price increases for quality made basses.

Wait until the energy prices in the US go up :rollno:

19. Take a look at the exchange rates - Pound Sterling is worth around 30% less against the Euro since this time last year and close to the same versus the US dollar - makes a difference!!

20. precarius

precarius Guest

Dec 10, 2005
    A Wishbass can still be had for $300