Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Everything has a beginnin.. meh too

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nExTiMe, Nov 11, 2003.

1. nExTiMe

nExTiMe Guest

Nov 11, 2003
    hey guyz, as a newbie of this forum.. yea..
    im startin bass guitar soon
    anyways.. since there are sum expertz out dere and stuff
    wut should i get for my beginning bass?
    4 string or 5 string? (iono, im a fast learner and im afraid to dump my guitar too soon)
    ive been given alot of recommendations for Ibanez..
    and.. finally, what brand of small amp should i get?
    I want to start silently until i can gain some skills
    thanks guys, i really appreciate it

2. Go for one of the starter kits. I think squier has a decent one, comes with a squier p bass, I think you can get a j bass too, a littl 25 watt squier practice amp, and a gig bag i think too. They have them all over the place, check em out! Other good starting basses are essex, and ibanez. check out a forum thread on here called "beginner bass for a teenager" or something like that. There are lots of good suggestions in there.

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    While not needed, spelling greatly improves your chance of getting replys.

Just a hint.

As far as starters, look at "Essex" basses. MIM Fenders are very good as well. What kind of sound are you looking for? What type of music do you play?

4. nExTiMe

nExTiMe Guest

Nov 11, 2003
    alright, sorry
    im just one of those asian(AzN) teens used to talking slang all the time

for music, i want to go for calm rock/alternative rock
    hm.. like...
    Cold Player
    Strokes
    Linkin Park
    etc. I'm not really heavy

5. My suggestion would be any one of these starter packs.

http://www.all-bass-guitars.com/

Squier Bass Pak

Convenience and value is the name of the game with these all inclusive packages. A Squier Affinity P-Bass is paired with an amp and packaged with all the accessories you'll need to plug in and play! This package was designed by professionals who know that beginners need to have affordable quality in both the amp and the bass.
    [​IMG]

Ibanez IJSB190 Jumpstart Electric Bass Package

You've got everything you need: axe, amp, cord, instruction book video, and more. Don't confuse Jumpstart packages with other value packs that contain bottom shelf generic grade equipment. Jumpstart has name brand, good stuff that you can still use when you get good yourself.
    [​IMG]

Silvertone LB11 Bass and Amplifier Package

The Silvertone Bass Package comes with everything you need. Featuring the Silvertone SSLB-11 "Precision" style 4-string bass (34" long scale, 20 fret Maple neck with Rosewood fretboard, 1 split "P" style pickup, 1 volume and 1 tone control, chrome die-cast enclosed tuning machines, fully adjustable chrome bridge), the Silvertone Bass package also includes the BA-10 bass amp (10 watts RMS, 7" bass driver, 3-band EQ, headphone jack), GT-8 tuner, gig bag, strap, cable, pickpack, and instructional video.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Treena

6. being that squire are hit and miss, I'd recommend an Essex or Brice of your choice (all get greta reviews!) and a Peavey microbass amp.

The total starting price is about $140...

Welcome to TB! Enjoy your stay!:D

7. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Also! It's worthy to note that TalkBass has become more of a huge libary on every topic you can think of. If you think your question might have been asked before (TalkBass has been around forever) then do a search for it, then ask the question if you did not find the answer for you personaly.

8. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    If I were starting out I would get a jazz bass. There are a handful of good small combo amps out there. Many have headphone jacks. Check out Ampeg. I have a friend with the BA 112 combo (I think its the 112) and he hasnt needed anything more for a few years.

9. Though time consuming, I recommend you check out the NEWBIE LINKS at the top of the forum. If you read through all of the links, you will learn a lot about basses and will be able to make smarter buying decisions. There are a few links that address the issue of buying a beginner's bass guitar.