1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Everything I Needed to Learn In Life, I Learned in a Band

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by jive1, May 7, 2010.

1. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I was thinking today that most of my adult skills were a result of being in a band. Sorta like the Army, being in a band helped me to be all that I can be.

- I learned that people come and go and have other priorities that are nothing personal.

- I learned not to take rejection personally, to pick myself back up and try again.

- I learned that people are wierd, and that I am too.

- I learned how to get along with those wierd people, and sometimes get something productive done.

- I learned that some people are just not worth your trust no matter what you do.

- I learned my limits for partying.

- I learned to use a computer, and later, web development, graphics, and audio production because I was in a band. Now I'm learning video production.

- I learned the value of balancing discipline with creativity.

- I put the theories I learned from my business degree into practical application. Most of my practical education in marketing, accounting, management, operations, manufacturing, sales, etc. came from being in a band.

Let's see some more!

2. becker4567

becker4567

Jul 26, 2008
    Ya know, this is interesting! I've never really thought about it, but your right. I've learned a huge amount of 'life lessons' by being in a band. Especially the part about weird people and learning to get along with them. Handling difficult circumstances, realizing that a short scale Gibson EB3 is a formidable weapon, learning that the only person you can really count on is yourself, and the true meaning of friendship. Some were hard lessons to learn, but in the end, I guess those are the ones you remember best.

3. St Drogo

St Drogo

Oct 9, 2009
    Netherlands
    Let's see...

I've
    - Learned to cope with ego's, both those of others and my own.

- Learned to work together with people.

- Learned to say no and stand my ground for what I believe in.

- Learned to dissappear into the music, if you know what I mean. Just become one with the moment, if I can say that without sounding too treehuggery.

- Learned to find absolute (if momentary) happiness in music.

- Learned that sometimes, (most of the times) things won't be perfect or exactly as you want them and that you just have to roll with it. To be flexible. Striving for perfection is deadly and makes you succumb to apathy, rather than get you somehwere. It's all about finding a balance between "just the way I want it" and "screw it, just go for it".

- Learned to hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst.

- Learned that standing on a stage makes you, like, 5 points more attractive to girls on a 1-10 scale. Makes me a 14.
    (Or so I've been told).
    (By me).

- My girlfriend learned that calluses on my fingertips aren't always for the best. :D

Good thread topic Jivemeister! You win one internet!

4. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    It's true that a lot of the marketing skills I learned came from being in a band.

My ability to read and guide dynamics in conversations or group settings came from playing music with other people.

I learned that raw talent is overrated, and that "some talent coupled with hard work" will trump "raw talent" more often than not.

And I learned (though I often forget) that "having fun" is more important, and more contagious, than "being good".

5. I learned to accept people for who they are, most of the time.

I learned that skinny boys cannot handle more than a six pack in one sitting.

I learned the true meaning of feeling naked, and resolving to feel more comfortable in a crowd.

I learned that there is truly nothing I cannot do if I put my mind and soul to it.

I learned that no amount of showing off will cover the fact that I don't have a firm grasp on music theory (which was recently, something I am working to resolve).

6. butchblack

butchblack Life is short. Do good. Find and do what you love.

Jan 25, 2007
    Waltham Massachusetts
    I learned to separate fact from fantasy

in a great band the sum is greater then the parts

balance is a good thing

try to be prepared for anything

despite the fun being in a band is business and should be treated like such

got to listen to and appreciate music I might have never listened to otherwise

learned a bit about the technical aspects of sound reinforcement and getting a good tone out of my equipment under varying conditions