Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Everything I own SUCKS!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by cb56, Apr 24, 2001.

1. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    according to posters on this and other boards,

Warwick basses suck,
    Ampegs suck,
    Alesis compressors suck,
    My bass stand sucks,
    My brand of strings suck,

How did I become such a poor judge of quality.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

But you're really consistent! ;)

3. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Think of yourself as a newborn. Sucking is pretty much what we do from day one. So it's genetically engineered for us to live lives of suckitude.

Your post is a hoot.

I think the world has to be balanced in all things or it will swing wildly off its axis. Terrain (there's ocean and there's desert), values, everything. Let's call it the Eternal Law of Compensation. So for every bass you love, there's someone out there who hates it with as much passion. Every string brand, ever finish color, every band you hold dear, someone else loathes. So look at it this way. By liking Warwicks and Ampegs and what all else, you're allowing others to hate them equally, thus keeping the world from pinballing into the void. Keep up the good work.

4. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    BOY do I feel SPESHUL!!!

5. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    hey, you left out your talent level. you suck! hehe

just kidding of course. :D

6. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Well that goes without saying!
    But that's why I bought all this expensive gear to cover up for my lack of talent!!!

hmmm....... maybe I'll trade my stuff in on a Mesa/Boogie

7. No man! M/B suck! :D

This thread is great. And to all the newbies out there, buy what you like.Forget the rest.

FF

8. NeoTrotskyist

NeoTrotskyist

Apr 2, 2001
    wait, i'm going to be "funny". let's see what else sucks........i suck!! boy am i "clever".....

9. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    I think the general consensus among bassist is that, "everything they have is the best in the world and everything else sux".

If anyone criticizes anything you have, just say, "oh, you got one of those (fill in the blank here), I hear they really suck. Works every time, have fun with it.

10. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Look at it this way: if we didn't complain constantly about the state of our equipment, we'd still all be playing bass violins.

Not that there's anything wrong with that :)

11. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    How can a bass stand suck, I mean so long as it doesn't fall over who cares?

12. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    ¤suck¤
    (which in swedish means: sigh - will this be the last sigh of this sucking thread?)

BTW: gear doesn't suck until the user thinks so!

13. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    my girlfriend sucks ! :D

14. :D:D

15. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Well, I would never own Peavey or Carvin gear, cause they suck, so I guess we're in the same boat.

16. I'm glad you included Mesa/Boogie....
    But if you stand near the ports on my M/B you will notice it really blows...:D:D

Just for the sake of argument I guess my G&L sucks too....I was already told my Bass POD sucks, and cb56 covered the rest for my stuff in the beginning...

Woo Hoo!!! All my stuff sucks, which reminds me I have to vaccuum my apartment....Can't find one of my cats... He sucks!

17. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the funniest thing is that the folks that make the most claims about certain gear sucking usually suck the loudest. the few active guys around here that say "this sucks, that sucks" the most often i have yet to hear play, but i bet they can't play their way out of a empty bag.

i'm sorry, but if someone is going to slam on some piece of gear, we need to hear them play - at least to make sure they're using it correctly. :D

isn't it funny that sometimes the folks with the strongest opinions about music and gear have the least reason to have them?

18. Sad but true.

19. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    To John Turner: Sort of brings to mind the scene in that watershed film, George Romero's Dawn of the Dead, in which our hero, after breaking into a mall sporting goods store, picks up a pricey rifle and opines, "The only guy who could afford to buy this thing is the one who couldn't hit anything with it." Or something like that. It seems that those who can't do, can afford to offer the money to acquire or the lung power to critique. I concur that those who slam the most are the most insecure. Wouldn't call it "Peavey Envy" exactly, but like that. (By the way, I'm from Pittsburgh, and here the George Romero canon is as revered as Shakespeare. After all, it's kinda like Titus Andronicus. Minus a little blood.)