Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Everything I Play Sounds BAD!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by UrbanAssault415, Apr 17, 2005.

1. I dont know what Im doing wrong. I study jazz theroy and everything that Im tought I do right, I study and practice (w/ and w/o using theroy), but it just seems that everything I play is rancid. I cant figure out if I have a bad musical ear/musical originality, or since Im not likeing the tone of my amp but then again gear doest make the player.

Anyway im just wondering if any of you had this problem or and ways u can help me.

P.S. This might be in the wrong forum so Im sorry in advance

2. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Have you tried playing the radio?

:bag:

3. Ya, I can play other peoples songs just fine but if i write my own or impravise it blows

4. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    OK, I'll try to be serious for just a second.

I can't say I've ever been thrilled with my own improvisation chops. I wonder if anyone really is. I wonder if you start liking yourself too much, if it isn't counter-productive.

Why don't you post up some samples, and see if everyone here thinks you suck as much as you seem to think you do.

My guess is, you're being over-critical.

5. he comes by every tues. im goin to talk 2 him about it 2 cuz it startin to tick me off. BTW he is considered one of th best bass player on Staten Island by many people.

6. i often go through this myself.
    from time to time, i'll love something i come up with, but can never finish the riff or whatever.

i used to find with my old gear that the crap tone/feel was rather counter-productive.

imo, if you're not happy with your tone, it might be time to find something new. I personally feel that "the tone is in your hands" is a bit over-used. A good player can make a bad instrument sound good, yes, but was s/he always good on a bad instrument?

When I got my first grabber I played bass a lot more becuase it sounded great, felt great, looked great (to me), whereas my P-copy was a bit dented, ugly (not that i dont love p-basses!), sounded awful, crap neck, crap action etc.

so maybe you need something new to spark your ideas!
    POst samples. :)