Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Everything must go - Steely Dan out today in UK.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bruce Lindfield, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

So I've listened to it a couple of times now and wondered what others thought about it?

I like it the more I listen, but miss Tom Barmey's basslines and it seems there is less improvisation - less musicianship and more emphasis on the songs?

I do like the songs although I find Becker's singing a bit embarassing and some of the lyrics seem more obvious and less cryptic - even naive about the modern world - Pixeleen or is that just like a lot of their songs, written from a point of view?

Anyway - it's always good to have another Dan album to listen to and think about, but I'm worried about the title track coming at the end might seem to suggest they've run out of ideas and are shutting up shop? Presumably it's not autobiographical, though! ;)

2. Bruce Lindfield

Nobody else get this yet?

Am I the first!! :smug:

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I got it a few days ago. I posted about it. I really like the CD, but Walter's singing throws me a little. His singing on his solo joint sounded much better. Like you, I also miss Tom's bass playing, but Walter did a good job.

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I just bought it today on my way home from work.

I'm listening to it now. Once I've listened to the whole album a few times, I'll post some opinions...

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...mine's in the mail.
    I bought the CD with DVD version.
    Ya got that one, Bruce?!

6. Bruce Lindfield

DVDs are out for me as they seem to be fraught with difficulties - I eventually discovered that while my TV is huge and looks great, it is lacking some kind of facility that allows most to play some DVDs and until I am prepared to shell out thousands for a new TV, then I can't be sure al DVDs will play - I'd rather spend the money on new bass stuff, holidays SummerSchools etc. - seeing as my TV looks perfectly good to me and 90% of DVDs are OK!

Back to the CD I think I really like the first two tracks - but the song with Walter singing is not really up to par - the last track is very interesting and there are some other highpoints.

I find that the drumming is kind of irritating - a very persistent snare backbeat - starting to sound like Wynton now - maybe it's just I'm listening to too much Jazz drumming - if such a thing is possible? ;)

7. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Ok I've listened a few times.

I quite like it. At this point, I think I prefer it to Two Against Nature - though I don't think either are as good as what they've done before.

At the moment my favourites are "The Last Mall" and "Blues Beach".

I'm not bothered by Becker's vocal, actually - he's no Fagen, obviously, but he can sing, and I wouldn't call it embarrasing.

Overall, I'd say a decent album, very much in the SD style, but nothing that really stands out as being great (in contrast to say, The Royal Scam & Aja, where I'd say almost every track stands out). And I think, unsurprisingly, it does lack the energy of their earlier work - compare this with Kid Charlemagne, Caves Of Altamira, or Green Earrings, for example.

8. Bruce Lindfield

I think the great rhythm sections they used to have, gave them their energy - Chuck Rainey etc.

That and the exciting guitar solos - big horn sections.

They seem to be settling into thinking about a regular band that can play relaxed grooves live - whereas before they were just creating set pieces in the studio.

So - Becker mentioned in the recent Bass Player interview/article how he had rediscovered the joys of playing bass in a regular rhythm section and concentrating on grooves that supported the song - whereas players like Rainey, gave them a kick up the arse!! ;)

9. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yeah, those great session guys must have been a big part of their energy - though I think those old songs had a certain energy too, as did Fagen's vocal performances.

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    After listening to this CD for about the 100th time, I can say that "Pixeleen" definately my fave.

11. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Didn't know a new SD was out! Thanks for the heads up--dashed out at lunch and got the cd/dvd combo--looking forward to giving them a spin

re: tom barney--i think he only played live for 2/nature--becker on the cd?

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Correct, although Tom played on "Gaslighting Abbey" on the CD.

13. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Barney also played on "Negative Girl" and "West of Hollywood."

14. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    What is with the sax solo on Pixeleen? Does anyone else think the sound of the sax is pretty bad... and the solo isn's great either?

15. Bruce Lindfield

There's a short solo on Baritone Sax - which is notoriously difficult to play - sounds alright to me?

Didn't notice it until you mentioned it - but the stand-out on that track is the exquisite backing vocal from Carolyn Leonheart - can't quite put my finger on why it is so good, but I love it - the whole track is too short really.

16. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    You're right about the backing vocals on that song. I like her voice, and her backing vocal works really well. Definitely the stand out of that song.

17. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    first impressions are good overall. i agreee w/ becker's vocal not what you expect in SD. CD is too short! should be a few more songs. DVD is a hoot! but not worth the extra coupla bucks.

18. Bruce Lindfield

Yes - it left me wanting more - but I have a feeling they wanted to finish it with the title track!

Just to say that my thread got in first!! :spit:

19. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Actually MINE was first. I posted a review of EMG last week! :spit:

And I agree, not enough songs.

20. Bruce Lindfield

Where is it then - I never saw it? :confused: