1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Everything relating to music has been stolen from me.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassrique, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Over the years so much of my music related property has just picked up and walked out on me. [I'm in my late 30's].

And I mean EVERYTHING: Walkmans, a Rockman, gaffers tape, records, CDs, VHS tapes, a bass, amps, effects, mics, cords, stereos, my 4 track, fake books, broken promises and outright lies that cost everything from time to money to sanity, .... .. ...I think you get it.

I was just reminiscing about this today and I can't help but laugh or I'll cry.

In other areas of my life I've only been ripped off a few times. What is it about music and what surrounds it makes for so much douchebaggery?

Music....it's a tough racket.

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    You live in a shelter, barracks, or what?

3. Nah, but I used to gig regularly. :D

And some of this I suppose wasn't outright thievery, as some of it was stuff lent out to people that were flaky.

Rock musicians in their 20's aren't the most reliable, solid and sane people. Chaos is [was] everywhere it seems.

4. funkybass4ever

funkybass4ever

Dec 12, 2007
    Never trust any musician under 40! (i'm 44 today)::smug:

5. And never let your daughter marry one...... or a lawyer for that matter either. :D

6. Happy Birthday!

7. RiseAgainst

RiseAgainst

Jun 4, 2008
    man that sucks, gotta be more vigilant.

8. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Reminds me of an old Stage Hand's joke.

If you draw a chalk line on a stage floor, an actor will move it, a dancer will trip over it and a musician will steal it.

9. Lol, that's a good one.

10. Experience is a good teacher. You obviously can learn from your past experiences. sorry to hear it, but sounds like positive change is within your control.

11. It hasn't happened in years and years, because I'm not surrounded by and performing for lunatics and flakes anymore.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The last thing I had stolen was back in the late '70s when we were playing at the Gene Autry Hotel in Palm Springs for the Sigma Chi Ball. This was in the days before electronic tuners, so I kept a pitch pipe to get to A440 plus or minus. One of those frat boys kyped it from me.

I keep a very close eye on my gear when I gig, and assume that someone is constantly scheming to rip me off. When we play two nights in a row at bars, I run high-strength security cables through the handles of all the PA speakers and rigs and lock them together. It could still be stolen, but not as easily.

13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I've had an attempted theft, but nothing other than a few cables have actually gone missing.

14. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    That which I have stolen has never been borrowed.