Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Everything Required For Touring..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fireworks_god, Mar 11, 2003.

1. fireworks_god

fireworks_god

Oct 30, 2002
    Okay, in about a year my band will be polished up enough and have some great songs to go on tour with, and I need to know what I need to buy now to construct a killer live rig. I am having trouble finding out about what all I need... speakers and the P.A. system, our amps, equalizers, monitors, compressers, drum mics; all quite a mess. Anywhere I can find out how to start building up some equipment? And how much wattage are we going to need to be playing clubs?
    Thanks for the help.

2. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "tour".

If you are going to just start playing bar gigs you aren't going on tour.

A band usually goes on tour to promote an album or to support a band that's promoting an album.

It is way too early to be trying to decide wattages and that sort of thing. The power that any individual needs is based on how much power the rest of the band uses. Ideally, volume levels should be balanced.

Pkr2

3. I'd book the tour first. Once you know what venues you'll play then you will know how much equipment to bring with you and also how much money you'll lose while on the road. It doesn't take long to buy equipment, and if you are supplying the PA, chances are it will be a small bar where your PA needs can be met without huge amounts of gear. In my opinion, a decent live music venue should have a built-in PA.

4. Not nearly as much as you think.

For example, unless you're playin' outdoor festivals the g*it*r can live with a maximum 100 watts. This means you can live with 300-500. With this gear turned up inside a small club you'll sound to loud (IMO). Good Luck!

5. Be sure to take plenty of condoms. They're the one piece of equipment you can't rent. :D

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Dude, in the event you do actually "tour", either the venue will provide the PA, or it will be rented by the promoter. You don't carry your own PA on tour, all you need are your guitars, stage amps, drums and keyboards.

That being said, you really need to play the clubs first. Start out locally, then branch out a bit in your region, THEN consider the typically money-losing prospect of touring to promote your album. And always remember that unless you are selling out large arenas, touring COSTS money and doesn't MAKE money, its just to promote album sales in most cases.

7. wonderboy

wonderboy

Oct 27, 2002
    there is no way a person can say 'we are going to tour in a year.' things happen. your songs aren't good enough. people die, or get called to go to iraq. you are not a psychic.

8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Buy a good van;)

9. fireworks_god

fireworks_god

Oct 30, 2002
    Okay, obviously I can't definitley say we're going on tour in a year or whatever, but eventually we will be booking gigs in clubs and wherever we can be taken.
    This question is about what kinds of equipment I need to make a good live rig, including backup equipment just in case something goes wrong on the main rig.
    To make it simpler, what does YOUR live rig consist of? Please be detailed, it'll help me out more.
    Thanks a lot, man.
    Peace.

10. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    my live rig for my 'loud bands' consists of an SWR 6x10 with an SWR/Carvin rack with 1000w of power. i could have easily made due with less....but that's no fun :) i don't have to stress any part of my rig to cause squirell exploding volumes.

my not as loud rig is an AMP bh-260 and an Avatar 112. soon to be another avatar 112 as well.

when my band has done our little mini tours (a week or so) i've brought the loud rig with no backup amp. the carvin poweramp is rediculously reliable, and i have enough spare parts for the IOD now that it's out of warranty to make that reliable as well :) i have a little bag of op-amps, full set of replacement tubes, and a soldering iron. but if that broke, i could plug my bass into my raven labs box, then into my compressor, and then into the power amp. i think the key is to have options - which is why i favor the rack setup.

i suppose it depends on how much money you have and how loud you need to be. but the least expensive rig i would go on the road with would be an avatar 4x10, carvin DCM1000 or QSC RMX 1450 poweramp, and preamp of your choice. should be able to dial in everything for a smidge over 1000 bucks, and it'd be loud, good sounding, and reliable.