1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

evil lead singer abandons us!!! not again!!!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Jiggybass, May 10, 2006.

1. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    Well, I'm having this dilema...I have a great singer, who is also pretty good on guitar, and before we met him, it was me handling the vocals (really, really badly), along with the bass. Now that we found him, later on it turns out that he's also part of another band, with his brother, and some other bassist (who is quite good, better than me, at least). So he did a couple of gigs again with that band, and since their gigs went soo well, they were asked to play gigs all over the place!!!! good for them, horrible for us, because now he has no time to practice with us anymore:crying:

To top it all off, we worked really hard to get a spot at the Oakville Waterfront Festival, and we got it...but now no-one to sing. It's a pretty big gig (well, for us it is...) and we have limited choices...

1. Somehow find a new singer, who incedently plays guitar, and get him to learn all our songs by mid-june (almost impossible, with summative assignments(highskool) and other jobs, time is limited)

2. I sing, and make everyone drop dead :meh: (Yes, I'm really that bad) Imagine Geddy Lee (awesome singer) with an incredibly scratchy throat, and no volume control...:help: And the sad thing is, our lead guitarist is monotone, and nothing will ever change that (not even a good kick in the balls....heehee, was pissing me off about bass being easy...that showed him...and my drummer just can't stay on tone, though he has a good range :confused: why?????

or 3., drop out from the show that we worked soo hard for, and forever regret it

This is a huge let-down for my band, since we were doing so well, and we were really getting our sound down. And now, we lose our awesome voice, and rythm guitar, and our unique sound. Arg. What do we do? this ever happen to you?

Just my rant, thanks for listening, i feel used.

2. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    Seems like you could find someone to do your show by then. How many songs are you going to play? It would seem like if you did find someone, it wouldn't take too much to learn your tunes (of course, you guys could be very technical or prog rock or something, so I don't know).

What about the other singer? What if you asked him to just do this one-off gig with you? Meanwhile you can be looking for a replacement. Trust me, I know how that feels. We just lost a guitarist and we had a pretty full gig calendar.

Good luck man....

3. ric1312

ric1312 Banned

Apr 16, 2006
    chicago, IL.
    Well, I would take this as a lesson. Don't play with people who are in two or even three different projects, because they will leave when one has things happening for it and yours doesn't. Don't be someones fallback/backburner band.

Basically I call them band whores. I've tried it a more than a couple of times, it never works out. it always makes rehersal and gig scheduling problems. Or worse yet, arguments because they don't understand why you don't give a crap about their other projects problems.

If the gig is that big and you have the possibility of getting noticed because of it, make an add that states as such. You may find another good singer who just wants to get out their.

4. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    thanks guys, at least i now know it happens more often than i thought...

I posted some flyers around, and put our gig schedule on it, with hopes that someone is willing to sing for us, even if it's only for that one or two gigs

i dunno, because we have a really different style, and it's hard to get used to, it';s all about that "feel" we range from some nice oldie smooth tunes, to some pretty fast fretted metalish songs....

know anyone? lol:rolleyes:

5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
  6. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    Haha, wowie, :eek: