Evil Modern Prog or just Modern Prog, or just Prog

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by page, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Ok, Im still on my big prog kick. I've been listening to some awesome prog bands recently. All of them are more modern and more Proggressive than actual "prog". These bands that are making me music hungry are:
    Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - not for the faint of heart
    Idiot Flesh - Ditto
    Neurosis , Pelican , Isis - very similliar and very excellent, Red Sparrows not so much.

Deserts of Traun & Secret Chiefs 3 - mucho like

Miasma and the Carousel of Headless Horses - If you haven't heard this band then do yourself favor and treat yourself to a masterpeice. http://www.headlesshorses.co.uk/miasma_top_middle.html

Guapo - Eat your heart out Yes and Magma
    Opeth - What can I say

These are just a few of the bands Im digging now, I highly suggest fans of prog and experimental music check them out .
    Now, to the point of my thread. I want some experimental progressive, or prog type music . Im looking for stuff with a more modern sound, but if there's anything old I should dig let me know. Im also into a real "evil" sound. STGM does that to ya.... Anyways Please suggest me something. Links are a plus.

Also I already dig King Crimson and Comus and Magma. I semi dig Mars Volta. I don't dig Tool . There you go . Thanks
  2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Prog is for people who don't know how to fish

There is a band called Echolyn... they are modernish progish... they are pretty interesting. Might be a bit too lighthearted for you, they border on modern pop rock, but they have strong prog influence. They have an album called "The End is Beautiful" it's pretty awesome, the first song Georgia Pine gets stuck in my head all the time. I don't really know how to describe them. They have a Genesis influence that's for sure.

Porcupine Tree?

Old School:

Ever listen to Guru Guru? Faust? Krautrock stuff? It's very trippy jam stuff. I'm interested to know about some evil weird/modern prog as well.

Hey, have you checked out Tool ever? They like have parts that are trippy, then the dude is all like singing about chromosomes... I think you'd like 'em... they are teh progzorz!
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Thank you Smash! That keyboard player was on something I swear... awesome though!

4. Awesome ! Thank you Smash

5. I think Nils could eat Maynard and make all of the Tool fans cry.......[​IMG]

Oh and to The OWL, I know he'll hit this thread soon, I 'm gonna buy your album from CDbaby come next paycheck.
  6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Nils sure eats a lot of people...
  7. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Wow, no mention of Rus..,er Led Zep....er I mean Coheed and Cambria?! :p
  8. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Flashback to my childhood. Cool!

The guitar player, Jan Akkerman is still gigging last I heard. His solo work is great.
  9. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Best album since Larks' Tongues in Aspic as far as I'm concerned.

Best truly progressive album I've heard in years. They have a new out just recently but I haven't had time to dive into it. One of those groups that takes some patience, but is well worth it.
  10. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    A few suggestions, you may or may not already be into these bands:

Cult of Luna - Along the same lines as Isis, Pelican, Neurosis. Sonically massive, epic and droning.

Between the Buried and Me - Newest album "Alaska" is fantastic. Extreme prog-metal, hard to describe but very original sounding.

Necrophagist - Ultra-tech progressive melodic death metal.

Explosion in the Sky - Beautifully written instumental stuff similar to Red Sparrowes.
  11. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Yoooouuuuuu rrrrraaaaannnnggg? :D

That Focus clip was fun. Yeah, I do think keyboarder/yodeler/flutist Thijs Van Leer was on something that day! Either that or he's just plain naturally crazy!

Another recommendation:

Forever Einstein: Hilariously inventive guitar trio, and even funnier song titles like "Maybe Spending The Rest of Your Life In A Madhouse Will Teach You Some Manners". They're on the Cuneiform label. Favorite disc: "Down With Gravity!"

12. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Just noticed the post above me. I was listening to some clips from Kayo Dot the other day. They sound great, I'm definitely going to pick up some of thier stuff. Here's a link to their site. http://www.kayodot.net/www/audio3.html
  13. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    If you like Kayo Dot, definitely check out maudlin of the Well. That was the precursor band to Kayo Dot, similar personnel.

They were more prog-rock than literally progressive, but very good stuff that is a lot easier to get into. Kayo Dot can be quite daunting.
  14. EITS , I have all of their albums, good suggestion but not really what im looking for. Its cool though.

I'll defintely check out Cult of Luna

15. Well nightmaric demon lords have large appetittes. Mostly for dopey rock idols..............

I think he passed on Scott Stapp though..
  16. MikeT

Jul 10, 2005
    Peoria, Arizona
    You might like my new band. I wouldn't say we're straight up prog, but there are proggish elements, and plenty of evil sounding parts. Just get ready for high pitched screams every once in a while.
  17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Out of curiosity... has anyone else heard of these guys? They are pretty damn good IMO
  18. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Check out Liquid Tension Experiment. You have to wade through a bit of cheese, especially in the guitar department, but there's some good stuff in there.
  19. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Is most of the best progressive stuff coming out in Europe mainly or in the US? I remember a few years ago a kid showed me a bunch of prog metal and all of it was from Europe.
  20. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    "As The World--" is their masterpiece!! I saw them at NEAR Fest 2002 and loved 'em!!