Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Evil Radio Waves

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Alexander, Sep 10, 2001.

1. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Okay,

I have a Warwick Thumb bass with active pups and electronics.I just purchased the bass recently and have had a problem picking up radio signals with it. I live within 3-4 miles of a radio tower, so I figured it was probably that. I took it back to the store I bought it at and what do you know - no radio noise whatsoever. I took it out to play earlier today across town and the radio noise was back and worse than ever. When my bass was up to playing volume, the noise was awful. Within the next month, I am supposed to start playing regularly in a part of town where there is a massive tower. I'm guessing the noise there will be unbearable.

Any advice? Could it be this particular bass is an anomoly that needs to be fixed or would I have the same results with another similar bass? Is it the Thumb bass (with its J/J configuration) in particular or would any active bass pick up the same way? Is there a fix that I can implement somewhere in my signal chain to eliminate the noise?

Please help!!!:(

2. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Hi - are you sure it's the bass' pickup? Have you made sure it is not the instrument cable or the amp you are using? A few years ago, we had to get rid of a bass amp that was picking up radio waves.

3 weeks ago when we had an important function at our church, in the middle of praise and worship over the PA we could hear people talking - it turned out that the acoustic guitar being used on stage was picking up 3MP, a local radio station, which had horse-racing commentary on. Took us 30 minutes of PA sleuthing to figure that one out, and cut the sound from the guitar. :)

I have never heard of a bass pickup doing this.

3. jrich

jrich

Jul 10, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    More than likely it is the amp and not the bass. Unless it didn't happen with your old bass, then I have no idea. It could also be an fx pedal if you use one. I often have a problem with my fx pedal picking up radio signals. One other problem could be the wiring in the house. When i practice at home I almost always pick up radio signals, but only every once in a while does that happen anywhere else. Hope that helps!

josh

4. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Yes - when I orignially got this bass, I had an Ampeg B50R. When I plugged into this, there was the noise. The passive bass I had been using didn't cause this. When I upgraded the amp (to a Nemesis), again it was there with this bass, but not the other.

5. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Sorry - I forgot to mention. I did try two different cables (same brand - Spectraflex) and neither one was better than the other. Just to try something else, I plugged in with a VERY short cable (about 4 inches long). It helped out some - maybe reduced the noise by 50% or so, but it was still there. Obviously though I can't continue playing 4 inches from my input jack... :oops: