1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EVIL TWIN - Tube DI - by Eclair Engineering

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by svtb15, Mar 19, 2013.

1. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    So many people have asked me about the Evil Twin DI. I have not seen any threads on it so I figured that I would post my findings here.. Hopefully it will answer all your questions.

I have in my possession an EVIL TWIN Tube Direct Box by Eclair Engineering.. The ET (Evil Twin) is created by Bruce Seifried who also happens to be a bass player. After doing sessions for years, Bruce said he was not satisfied with the current day direct boxes that he would use. So he created the Evil Twin which has started a cult market made up of engineers of the pros. This DI has become a mystery box over the past 20 or so years.
    It is great for bass guitar recording, but can be used with just about any other instrument that has ¼’ phone jack outs.

The metal case is a made from very sturdy aluminum, with a glossy black face plate that has silk screened lettering topped off with a soft glowing blue jewel light. This ET DI has two tubes in its signal path…. a 12AX7 and a NOS 12AT7.

The ET’s INPUT of course is a ¼” , which can accept a wide degree of inputs from either passive or active instruments or keyboards.
    A small mini switch to the right of the ¼” input jack allows 0dB unity or a PAD of-20dB for hotter instruments. You can select depending on how much a signal you are sending it.
    It’s a typical input PAD as seen on many amplifiers of which many are familiar.
    In the session we were using all passive instruments so we left it in the 0 dB setting. The impedance at the 0db Setting is > 10 meg Ohm so I think this can be very friendly towards basses or guitars with piezo style pickups too.

There are two dedicated outputs for the Evil Twin. The typical high grade XLR to the right side of the faceplate which has a PIN #2 or PIN #3 select mini switch.
    This can be handy if you ever need to reverse the phase of the XLR or other LINE output , to help eliminate feedback with an acoustic instrument, or if you are also micing a bass or guitar cab at the same time, (since many times they wind up out of phase at the console if a mic is also used) Well with this switch you have the ability to flip the phase right on the DI box itself. PIN#2 is the stock setting and that is where it seems to stay all the time. It’s nice to have the option though.

The second output besides the XLR is a ¼” out located on the front panel in the upper left corner. It has a mini switch allowing LINE or LOOP settings.
    If you are going to use it on stage or with your bass amplifier you should use the LOOP setting..
    When in that position, it is a Mult off the INPUT and does not affect the THRU to your amp…
    If you have the switch in the LINE position, you get the Evil Twin DI output with Line level affected by the GAIN Knob/Switch setting, and other settings on the ET’s dashboard . It is a handy feature that can run ¼” LINE level for long cable runs etc.

Next is the mini EQ switch that has three settings.. This switch adds a slight EQ curve of 8dB @ two selectable points to the output of the DI. This feeds the typical XLR but also the ¼” out IF you have the OUTPUT set to the LINE setting.
    This can very be handy with a wide variety of stringed instruments. Again on the session we used this in the Middle setting which is labeled FLAT.
    Center position is FLAT with NO EQ . If switched UP, there is a boost @ 9k or if switched DOWN there is a boost @ 3k. The boost is very subtle yet able to be heard and is very musical in nature.
    I think it can help some basses to get a nice picking sound or to really enhance the top end , to get some open air if you are looking for a more HIFI type sound by using the 9k setting. It is super handy when recording acoustic guitar too.

The 4th and last mini switch is the GROUND switch, which is self explanatory.. You have a setting for LIFT and GROUND.. Pick whichever one you need to eliminate any ground type hum that may be present at the output..

Last is the GAIN knob in the center of the Box. It is a high quality Stepped Style Rotating Switch. Each click is a calibrated 3dB. Its range is up to +36 dB of gain.. YES it is enough to drive a power amplifier.

The rear of the unit has a rocker style ON/ OFF switch.
    The bottom of the case has nice over sized rubber feet that are fastened with screws to the chassis. All finished off in a durable Black Matte style finish.

Bass Tasters has some sound files of the ET in action. At http://www.basstatsers.com

The ET is gooey and thick sounding Tube DI for bass guitar, and just slams in a good way for acoustic guitar too. And it goes LOW in Freq…
    It is a rarely seen in the wild and highly sought after Tube Direct Box.

The Evil Twin DI is still Hand Made in the USA in small batches by the creator Bruce Seifried. .. Great little box.
    Sadly the site does not have any photos or info as of this date.

http://eclairengineering.com/Home.html

Eclair Engineering
    PO Box 125
    8 Village Hill Road
    Williamsburg, MA 01096
    413-268-3669

ET2.

A. D. Fairhurst likes this.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The Evil Twin's been out 20 years now? Man, am I old! Seems about right, though. Good review.

3. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Yes sir.. I think maybe longer than 20....... I just get so many emails about it that i figured if i post it here, maybe it can help answer some questions. afterall .. you can all see how poorly i type... HAHah and i hate it..typing that it.... even with spell check, i screw up.... and forget about punctuation... ha So i figured let me post a photo or two and help describe a really nice box for people that want to know about a really cool piece of Mystery gear ..

4. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Just wanted to answer all questions...

5. wilfred

wilfred

Jun 17, 2012
    How much does one of these cost and is there a store or website like MF or GC that I could pick one up at? I looked at the site you listed here and could'nt find any info on where they sale them at...

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Pretty sure you have to order it from Eclair Engineering themselves....or himself since it appears to be a one-man operation. Kirk's got the link in his first post.

7. It was used on Dookie by Green Day. Incredible bass sound.

svtb15 likes this.