evilbay basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LilloEsquilo, Feb 19, 2010.

1. LilloEsquilo

LilloEsquilo Inactive

Nov 8, 2009
    I've bought a number of basses off there (as I imagine you guys have) and what I'm seeing these days is WAY more ripoffs than good deals.

I'm seeing sellers on there trying to sell a USED bass for MORE $$$ than you could get a brand NEW one for! For example, Spector (which is my brand) Rebops can be had from Musician's Friend for 799 (closeout) and people are on there trying to sell them for 1000 used and 1300 new. There is an NS2 listed, as new with an 08 date, they are listing for 3500 when MF has new ones over 1000 less. Even beat up ones advertised with cracks and the like they want as much as I've sold mint basses for.

I wonder a few things seeing this stuff; first who actually buys these basses for this, second why bother with the bay anyway since used generally is just beaten up? I haven't had a whole lot of lot with used stuff, even some of the new stuff wasn't great - I was sold as brand new a bass that had a "used" tag on it with a price lower than I paid and a big ole ding on the backside, another with really sharp frets I could never quite make right despite humidifying and oiling the board and filing the edges, and one that had even deeper problems as I could never get it in tune. Horror stories abound....

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    You takes your chances. I've gotten dozens of basses on ebay, and all were prices I wanted to pay for basses that came in excellent condition. I NEVER overbid, and have NEVER been sorry about a deal. YMMV

3. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    Yes, there are lots of lousy deals on eBay. I've bought and sold lots of stuff there, and the trick for me is bid only what I'm willing to pay for a bass. That usually means that I'll go through 20-30 auctions before I actually get what I'm looking for at the price I want to pay. I recently got a nice MIM hotrod P bass from there at a good price.

Part of the problem is that the PayPal and eBay fees have gone up a lot in the last year or two. They can run anywhere from 10-20% after they're all totalled up. So it makes some sense that eBay prices will be at least that much above what you'd normally pay, even if the seller isn't padding the price with shipping fees. Then there are the outright scammers, but they're not just on eBay.

Until Ebay starts to feel the pain from Craig's list, Amazon auctions, and other selling venues, I'm afraid that's the situation we face. As always, caveat emptor.

4. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

I particularly like the way cheap "vintage" basses, that sold for like $75 when they were new 30 years ago, now are listed at $400 or more. Put the word "vintage" or "rare" in the title and you can jack up the price by $350 or so.

The key is to know what you're buying. You have to know what a bass is worth. And bid only what you're willing to pay. If you lose the auction, you can bet that same model bass will come up again sooner or later.

5. JDHolmes

JDHolmes

Jan 6, 2010
    I've recently bought two used for prices 1/3 of new. One was a bit of a disappointment and was poorly described, the other great. Both play excellently. I just bought a New Schecter for less than half of the new price, paying $280 instead of $700.

Sure, there are "bad" deals but caveat emptor should be heeded on ebay beyond all other places.

6. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    You just have to know what you want and know what you're getting...I've gotten smashing deals on Ebay (but better deals off Craigslist).

Never been ripped off on Ebay either (knocks on wood)

7. Btone

Btone

May 5, 2001
    Don't know about Spectors, but RICs are hardly available here where I live (Norway). If a local retailer has one in, it's priced roughly at $3300 (4003). American RIC retailers won't, or rather can't, ship to Europe.

In this perspective eBay prices make sense - I can have one off there for $2000.

Many RICs on eBay are obviously priced for a non-american market, maybe this goes for other brands as well.

A good thing, isn't it?

Just a thought.

8. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Do your research because frequently sellers don't do their research. Case in point: seller buys an ABC bass from Shlomo's Music for $1299, Musicians' Friend has the same model for the same price. Roll the calendar forward six months: seller plays the bass once and keeps it stored in it case so its still in pristine condition, decides to sell it on E-bay with a BIN price of $850. Pretty decent deal in my book until you realize that MF has the same bass at a blow-out price of $799 (discontinued, whatever). You PM the seller with this tidbit of information. His response "...but I paid $1299 for it!" to which you respond "I don't give a ratzass what you paid for it".

The sad part is that some uninformed individual will come along, pay the $850, and be perfectly happy thinking he got the best deal in the universe.

Riis

9. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass.

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    Private sellers of used basses often overprice their items. I'm not going to get all pop-psych about this and try to explain why they do, but it's been my experience that they do.

I've gotten the best deal on eBay for new instruments from sellers that specialize in instrument sales. They will generally be competitive with GC's prices, and if they offer free shipping and are out of my state (that's easy, everyone is outside Rhode Island!), I save the tax. I've never gotten a "steal," and I'm skeptical that these come along very often.

As an eBay seller, I've always gone with the philosophy that I list an item with an opening bid of the lowest price I'm willing to take for it. I rarely get a lot of bids, but because I do my research, I've never had an auction end without a sale.

If I were looking for a used bass, I'd check the classifieds here at TB before I'd go anywhere else.

10. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Of the saved searches I have on ebay, Alembic, and Traynor, I find, that with very few exceptions, the stuff that is overpriced, doesn't sell.

Try doing an advanced search for completed listings. You will see the overpriced items listed again and again, and not selling.

11. If the case you describe the seller is offering the bass for a fair priced based on what he paid, so there is no ripoff involved. If he gets $850 then good for him. There are some people that don't want to take the time to look for the best deal and for them $850 might be a good deal compared to $1299 in their local music store.

There are plenty of ripoffs, but as long as you know what the bass you want to buy is worth then all you have to do is ignor them. Let them waste their money on eBay fees listing a bass for way more than anyone is going to pay.

12. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    +100

Also, at this time, it's a BUYERS market right now.

Sellers aren't getting close to what they want for stuff (especially these people who are trying to pull in $8k on a 65 Jazz bass, for example.) It's just not happening.

13. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    True, this is not a rip-off...may not even be considered over-priced in some circles. However, given the choice of new @ $799 vs. used @ $850, I'd go with the new purchase. Just market dynamics at work!

Riis

14. I had wanted a Jazz bass with a blocked/bound neck for a couple of years. I sifted thru hundreds of auctions on the'bay but stuff was way more than I was willing to pay. Finally I came across one that I wanted and it was in my range. As others have said, set a price you are willing to pay and dont budge.

However I do agree with you that some people tend to overvalue what they are selling. I can think of one bass that has been on ebay for two years or so now with the same price listed. He should get real, if he hasnt sold it yet, he's got it priced to high...

BnB

15. For something like that it could be that the seller doesn't really want to sell the bass. "Honest Honey, I have the bass listed for sale on eBay. I'll just keep relisting it until it sells.":D

16. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Its a free market.

Anybody can list anything for any price they want.

If you want it, great, buy it.

If "its too expensive" or a "rip off" or what have you, then dont buy it.

Plain and simple. Don't think too hard or try and understand why people do the things that they do.

They do it for one simple reason - Selling!

Plain and simple. Money.

17. syciprider

syciprider Inactive

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    +1.

And in this age where information is just a few keystrokes away, no one gets ripped off, they were simply stupid.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021