1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Evil's of Monster Cable???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rosstanium, Sep 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rosstanium

rosstanium

Jan 5, 2008
    Detroit
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario
    So, what's this I hear about the evils of the Monster Cables?

Just wondering...

2. A co-worker of mine bought me a "Bass" Monster Cable for my birthday a few years back. I still use it today only because they are lifetime replacement. However, I have not noticed any difference in sound. I have noticed though, that they are stiff and if you jump/dance around whatever, they do seem to tangle and get in the way more so than others. I would not buy this cable if it got lost/stolen whatever, but I will keep using it until then.

I would save yourself the money and buy a good but cheaper cable that has lifetime replacement. The so called "BASS" Monster Cable is nothing more than marketing.

Hope that helps.

3. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Mine was noticeably more clear-sounding than my other cables. (At least during a critical A/B listening test.) But after a few months of mostly home recording use, it developed a "crackle" from the cable wearing out w/ friction. I chopped a few inches off both ends and soldered the plugs back on. Then I thew it in my "backup" bin.

I've seen other hi-end cables crap out waaaaaaay to soon, especially for what you pay.

4. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    Aaaahhhh! There is no difference in sound!

5. The only thing that pisses me off is how stiff they are.

6. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Just a bunch of self righteous people looking for something to hate.

They work for me. If it ever goes bad, I can get a new one in 5 minutes (Yeah I live close to GC, but that's not the point). No questions asked, walk in and get a new one, walk out.

7. You know if it had been conclusively proven that they are not any better then the company wouldnt still be selling them.

8. Maybe I'm a sucker, but I bought one of their expensive dedicated "bass" cables. I have a pretty good background in audio electronics and should have known better. Does it sound better than other good cables? I can't tell. It did wear out at the plug end pretty quickly. But I was able to walk into Advance Music in Burlington and walk out with a brand new one. Don't expect it to make as much difference as changing strings or pups, that's all.

9. I do not undersatnd this logic at all...

10. JazznFunk

JazznFunk

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    It seems that the general feeling is that Monster Cables are evil. Well, here's my story to enlighten you and give a positive perspective.

I've been using the same Monster Bass cables for 11 years and they still sound great & are in great shape for the hell I've put them through onstage and in the studio. Yes, the gold plating is wearing off the plug ends after this long, but that doesn't bother me. What's important is that they have outlasted every other cable I've ever owned. They've been pinched, crushed, had the plug ends hit bare concrete and pavement, been stuffed in and out of gig bag after gig bag, and have been in the smokiest and dirtiest of clubs.... and they're still going! I have bought many other Monster Cables since those first ones and am impressed with how much more solidly built the new ones are when compared with the old ones. This galvanizes my faith in them even more, knowing that I most likely will never have them crap out on me. I am perfectly happy with the money I spent on them because I know they'll last. With that said, I must say that the Core X2 instrument and mic cables almost make me forget about the Monsters, but I haven't played with them long enough to know yet. The point is that in spite of people being sick of the marketing, the cables DO last and they do sound better than most cheaper cables I've played. Their warranty is legit too. I did have ONE Monster Speaker cable that crapped out on me due to some defect in the plug end and they replaced it for free, no questions asked, at a local shop. It was not the shop I bought the cable from, but they happily honored the warranty.

They won't revolutionize your playing, but they will deliver as clean a sound as possible to your rig or recording setup, and they're solid as a tank... that's what they're meant to do, as opposed to making you walk on water. If you're expecting to thrash them and abuse them, they will of course fail, like any other cable. They most likely won't fail as quickly, but they'll fail. :eyebrow:

11. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    I will refer you to my previous post.

12. JazznFunk

JazznFunk

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    Touché... Please refer back to my post. My experience has shown me that they work, and do perform better than less expensive cables in terms of sound quality and reliability. I realize this is a subjective point... some can tell a difference, some can't. So they either DO work and some folks can't hear the difference, which is a truly plausible scenario given that some folks ears may not hear things the same way, or they don't work at all and it's just a placebo effect. I have noticed a difference live and in the studio. I respect your opinion, but I disagree with it. For someone to flat-out say something doesn't work without some empirical, solid evidence doesn't sit well with me.

13. I just like nice sturdy solidly made equipment and from my experience monster cable is just that. I usually use the planet waves cables but a few years ago I purchased a bass with an inset jack and needed a cable with a smaller plug to fit. The monster I purchased is still my main cable regardless of the bass I play to this day. It works perfectly and looks good too. I also use their speaker cables in my rig. I've been using their cables in my home theatre system for at least 10 years without a single issue. Do they sound better than cheaper cables? I can't say I hear a difference! But they are nice, seem to be made well and I always liked the name, MONSTER CABLE!!!! I guess there is something to be said for a good marketing team.

14. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Countless double-blind tests have been done...it's all in your head.

15. My only complaint with Monster cables is that with my bass, sometimes it picks up radio stations. No other cable on my bass does that, just the Monster. I have EMG pickups and an Aguilar OBP-3 preamp and for some reason my cable likes to pick up either a Spanish station or the Glenn Beck program. I think they're well built but for some odd reason they don't seem to be insulated enough for my bass. For the $75 I paid for it I think it should've been better insulated.

16. JazznFunk

JazznFunk

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    Thanks for that. I appreciate you telling me what's in my head. It's all clear now! :oops:

17. What I mean is that if they are so bad and they dont do anything that they say they do, I highly doubt people would continue to buy them and keep that end of the business going.

18. Marketing and psychoacoustics step in to fill that part.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.