1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EVM 15L - to recone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by morebass!, Sep 16, 2008.

1. morebass!

morebass! I'm all ears Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    I have a couple of these famous drivers in a Mesa 2x15 (diesel) cabinet. They are the 200-watt version. The box I believe is a Thiele design. I like the tone but they tend to fart a bit at high volume. To an extent, I like this "cone cry". It gives it a nice edge to the tone. But sometimes I push it too hard or want a cleaner tone. My drivers are 15-20 years old and have been pushed. There is a recone kit available but it ups the wattage to 400-watts. I presume this will have an effect on tone and when it starts to "break up". So should I have my 200-watters reconed to 400-watters, or not. Your input is appreciated.

2. I have the 400W speaker in a single-15, non-Thiele design. They'll still fart if you slam them hard enough.

3. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Really???!!!
    Who makes this 'kit'?

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    For not much more than the price of a recone the Eminence 3015 will take four times the power before farting out and weighs less than half as much. The 400 watt power rating of the later Pro-Line version of the EVM is moot, excursion is the same.

5. Hi.

I'd say go for it, but then again I do like vintage stuff (a lot actually) and I'm also strongly against this "throw-away society"

At least here in europe they are marketed as EV. Who makes them? Who knows?

The 200W version doesn't seem to be available, at least from the few places, I've looked.

The Eminence 3015 should work well, it's also a tried and approved substitute, but the sound might not be the same. (Could even be "better")

In that case You can sell the EV baskets to some-one who likes them better. That is IMHO the cheapest option as the price You get from the baskets should buy you one Eminence driver.

Regards
    Sam

6. morebass!

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI

Good info. Thanks. I'd like the lower weight but am skeptical about tone. I like the character of the EVs. Although a bit less spike in the mids might be good.

Can anyone compare the Eminence with the EVs in this type of cab?

7. morebass!

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    I'm with you on using what is already there. No way I'd put them in the landfill. I don't really enjoy buying and selling more stuff either but I'd do it to save some weight and improve, or at least maintain, tone.

8. morebass!

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    That confirms what BF said. Thanks.

9. morebass!

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    FYI - pricing info:
    recone kit is $65
    Eminence 3015 is $180
    not sure what I could get for the 15Ls

10. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Figure at least that much for installation as well. One can DIY recones, but it's not like changing a lightbulb, skill and knowledge is required.

11. morebass!

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Billl - Good to know. So we're looking at no more than a $50/driver price differential.

12. okabass

okabass

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland,Lahti
    HI

I've done some 3-4 EV reconing. They were 15" and 18" elements. As you say: "it's not like changing a lightbulb", but it is quite possible to do if you're handy.

13. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    yes you can do it, but you can also screw it up. in that case you'll ruin the recone kit. recones are best left to the professionals. they will give you a guarantee. for instance if you bought a factory flawed recone kit and installed it yourself when the speaker blew (again) you would have no recourse. the pro would be able to dianose the problem and make it stick with the manufacturer, but they would just tell you the kit was fine and you installed it wrong. however i think this is a moot point. i believe you are just pushing the drivers past their capabillities, a recone probably not change their performance at all.

personally i would get the kappalites. they will out perform the ev's and shave quite a few pounds off the cab. buy once cry once.

14. svp

svp

Mar 12, 2007
    Atlanta
    I have 2 EV 15's out of a old EV B215 cabinet that are 200watts per speaker. I just recently had them reconed by a pro here locally and they sound great, but I have switched over to using 10's and 12's. I would be willing to make you a good deal on them. If you are interested just pm me, if not good luck.

15. Gee, I've got a couple of 20 yr old EVM 15L's in an old sun cab out in the shed. People pay big money for those? :confused: :hyper:

16. morebass!

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Bill - would I get more low end out of the 3015 than out of a reconed EV (both in the TL606 box)? I'm guessing the farting would be eliminated and efficiency might improve but, considering the cabinet size, any increase in lows might be minimal.

17. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Yes.

18. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    When I played just 4 string, EV 15s were my favorite speaker, but once I got into the low A I found they just couldn't handle it like I wanted - probably the "fart" others are referring to. I do still love them for 4 string though. I do not doubt there are lighter, more efficient modern speakers with better frequency response. I've heard many modern 15s, and some of them are pretty stellar. HOWEVER none of them sound like EVMs.

But that's just me, and I'm always wrong.

19. doktorfeelgood

doktorfeelgood layin' it down like pavement Supporting Member

If you don't like the mids of the 15L, see if the guys who recone it can do it with the paper cone of a 15B. Much stiffer and less mids. The 15L was originally a guitar speaker but has the same low-end responce of the 15B. )-(

popgadget likes this.
  20. doktorfeelgood

doktorfeelgood layin' it down like pavement Supporting Member

Bill... Could you tell me where I can find this 3015 bass speaker? I went to the Eminence website and there were only two 15 inch bass speakers listed and neither one had the model # 3015. )-(

Nix this post....I just learned about the Kappalites.....That's what you must have been talking about....I'm a little slow on the uptake...sometimes. Those 3015 Kappalites are unbelievable...)-(