Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ewen vernal

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by David Wilson, May 22, 2003.

1. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'm surprised I haven't seen any mention of this guy round here. He was the bass player with Deacon Blue, a scottish pop/rock band who were around from mid '80s to mid '90s.

Some of the stuff he did within a pop format is great. Not hard to play, but very inventive and melodic. On the Fellow Hoodlums album, many of the lead lines were on bass. But most importantly, he was always playing in support of the song.

Him and John Taylor are probably my two biggest influences, in that they opened my mind to non-conventional playing within a pop/rock format.

Suggested tracks:
    When The World Knows Your Name album
    Wages Day, Orphans, Circus Lights, This Changing Light

Fellow Hoodlums album
    Pretty much anything, but particularly Your Swaying Arms, Day That Jackie Jumped The Jail, Wildness, Brighter Star Than You Will Shine, Twist And Shout.

Any other EV fans out there?

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  3. Essexbass

Essexbass

Nov 8, 2003
    Reading, U.K.
    Hi David,
    Never thought I'd ever see a thread about this guy - seriously underrated in my opinion.

His work on the last Deacon Blue album before the split ("Whatever You Say, Say Nothing") is just groovin'. I didn't buy this album when it came out, but my wife has a copy on cassette (remember those things?) which I've been playing in the car in the last few weeks.

The last thing I read about Ewan was on the old Overwater basses site a couple of years ago (he was playing with Scottish Folk-Rockers Capercaille). After that, I haven't heard anything more about him....

Cheers,
    Essexbass

4. George Thompson

George Thompson

Mar 23, 2015
    I always enjoy hearing 'Ragman'. Really like his playing on that song. And his work on 'Whatever You Say, Say Nothing', awesome. A lot of heavy, serious bass lines one that album. I will say I am somewhat disappointed that he didn't
    get back with Deacon Blue when they reformed. He really helped shape and solidify their sound.