Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ewww... StarWars III - Revenge of the Stink

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by AndrewShirley, Nov 12, 2005.

1. That pretty much says it. I watched the first 45 minutes and couldn't stand it any longer. When the Wookies came swinging out of the trees sounding like Tarzan It was game over.

The Chinese-sounding fish guys were also quite irritating (not that I have anything against the Chinese - because I don't).

Then the whole script - the dialogue - what was Georgie thinking? Has everyone in Hollywood lost their minds??? Surely someone who read the script before they filmed MUST have said "ahhh.. George... This kinda stinks". I suppose they were all afraid that the next words out of their mouths would be "Spare some change sir?"

And why the heck did they even THINK of letting the guy make 2 more after episode 1??? He's obviously movie-writing deficient.

Does anyone have 1000 monkies and 1000 typewriters that I could possibly borrow? I'm going to put togther a script 1000 times better than the tripe I had to endure for 45 minutes this afternoon! :spit:

I have a GREAT idea... lets get Peter Jackson over there to bash some heads and make us a decent Star Wars!

- Andrew

2. Yeah. I forgot to mention when I first read this thread: prepare to be attacked by the clones. I wish I could comment on the film, but I haven't seen it and haven't made plans to. Episode I was enough. IN MY OPINION: you cannot polish a turd, but you can apparently sculpt it nicely enough to sell a lot of tickets to it's late show.

Mike

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I just watched it this afternoon with my son, the first time since seeing it in the theaters. I'm not a demanding movie-goer, and I don't quibble about dialog and inconsistencies like many do, especially when it comes to fantasy films I EXPECT things to be a bit ridiculous.

But I have to admit the dialog made me cringe at times, and hearing the Tarzan call when the Wookies swung from the trees seemed VERY ridiculous to me. Just blatantly so.

4. IMO the dialogue/character interaction was pretty bad in all 6 movies.

5. No matter where the money came from, it was misdirected.

- Andrew

ps. I appear NOT to be in the minority...

6. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    The Wookiee Tarzan yell thing is nothing new, Chewie did it in 1983's Return of the Jedi. ;)

I love the Star Wars movies, because, yeah, they appeal to the kid in me. (I was 7 when the original Star Wars came out and I was all about Star Wars when I was a little kid.)

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I think trying to qualify star wars movies on the merits of 'traditional' cinema is a waste of time.

Star wars is more than just the movies. What makes Star Wars so awesome, is that the movies provide, thru the looking glass, a glimpse into an immense, intricate an interesting universe of neat looking things. Non of the star wars movies have particularly stellar dialogue, plots OR acting. But, they all have lots of aliens, alien worlds, technologies, and action packed use of those things, that makes you go "woo neat"

Even episode 1... I pretty much cannot stand it, but I still loved seeing Tranto- I mean, coruscant.

8. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

I loved Star Wars. I loved it before I got into "good film making". I think because I love it so much I don't notice the flaws.

9. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    And I must admit the dialog in the last two was probably written by a seven year old. The last one wasn't that bad. Attack of the clones was dreadful, the love scene dialog and the frolicking in the flowers "tampon commercial" was hilarious. I went with a good friend who loves Star Wars, we were actually laughing almost all the way thru the first half of that movie. It is pretty hard to make Natalie Portman seem like a poor actress, that dialog pulled it off!

10. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    the video game "knights of the Old Republic" had a better storyline than any of the prequels to the original Trilogy

11. I liked the original trilogy, watched it lots when I was growing up(I was born 3 years after Jedi, but managed to find the original boxset at a pawn shop for $10 before the prequels or the crappy special editions). Never saw the SE's and am glad I didn't. And the prequels...why are you making movies when the outcome is already known? I watched the prequels, and I disliked every single one of them. All horribly written, all had bad characters, and all had not enough action(what is it, like 20 seconds of Jedi-destruction and then we are supposed to believe Anakin is a badass? And DV's yell of NOO at the end was dumb). I didn't mind ep1 until about...when Jar Jar showed up. After that I really wished a magical 'Good' knob would replace the 'Suck' knob that was set to 11.

12. Er...

For those who complain about the dialogue, you obviously have never watched the other films...

Don't go in expecting Citizen Kane folks, it's Star Wars.

13. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Oh yea, these movies really suck. I'm sure Mr. Lucas is crying all the way to the bank.

14. Hehe exactly, that's why I said the dialogue sucked in all 6 movies. :p

15. Oh boy, another Lucas is retarded and Peter Jackson is God threads. how original.

for 5 years ago.

welcome to the fold.

16. The implication being that the movies must be good because they made money? Or that no one can criticize a film because the film-maker cashed in on it? Surely you're not suggesting that popularity and revenue-generation are now the barometers by which the public is allowed to judge film and other entertainment media? And, uh, I'm not a fan of Peter Jackson's last three films, either.

Mike

17. BiggieZ

BiggieZ

Oct 20, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    I've seen all 6, and I think the only real stinker was Return of the Jedi.....Episode 1 tended to be a bit heavy, but I enjoyed them all in they're own way.....Like someone said.....don't expect Citizen Kane.....but you can get away from your life for a while......now that I have all 6 on DVD, I m,ight watch them in order......just to see if it all makes sense.......hehe :D

18. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    The first two (new hope, empire...) were good despite many shortcomings, everything else = a steaming pile of crap.

19. Anyone else notice that stormtroopers couldn't hit the broad side of a barn?