1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EX-112 Expired (RIP)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jonathan Starr, Jan 1, 2005.

1. My EX-112 Bergantino stopped working, after I accidently pushed it a bit hard on a gig.

There's a tune we do where I come in with a chromatic descending line at the end of a long drum solo, and we had about a half dozen percussionists sitting in on stage (african talking drums and latin conga & bongos etc) in addition to our regular drummer, and I didn't know if they would figure it out and cut back or not at the transition, and I wanted to cut through no matter what so I cranked the gain a bit too much and the first note was loud & ripping, followed by much diminished tonefulness from the single HT-112.

The two Bergies were in parallel with a QSC PLX 1602 in bridge mono, 1600w @ 4 ohm.

I forgot about it till I went to play it last night at soundcheck for a New Years Eve party and it showed open circuit. I had time to go home and get my old Bag End S-15C, which sounded really great paired up with the HT-112.

Is there anything inside the EX-112 other than the driver that could cause the failure? Fuse perhaps?

I assume my first step is contacting Jim Bergantino for a new driver.

Aloha,

JOnathan

2. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Jim will help you somehow. he'll probably ship you one at a fair price.
    If not, you could throw an Eminence Delta 12LF or Kappa Pro 12 in there but it won't sound as good as the original.

3. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    UGH! that sounds (???) like a smoked voice coil. Not a good thing. You might want to pull the driver and measure the resistance directly on the speaker.

I'm not sure how Jim handles something like this but I had that happen with a Bag End cab that was about 4 years old and they hooked me up. This is one of the reason I really like Bag Ends.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    ya IME, Bag End is really cool about replacements, i've never had to but i've seen guys that obviously smoked drivers by being stupid get a break.

Well jon, I'm one of the biggest advocates of using a lot of power for headroom, you seem to have encountered the risk cats like us take for doing that. I know about where on the dial to stop for my drivers, and i always listen to them, but i could see myself doing the same thing in a loud or sonically cluttered environment. Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you.

5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    J.S, sorry to hear about the speaker mis-hap. Please keep everyone posted on how Jim B. handles the situation. I'm a new member to the Bergantino family, and what impressed me (and sold me on Bergs) is Jim's confidence in his products. My guess is he'll sell you a replacement at a fair price.

Hang in there, Art

6. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    [I]Well jon, I'm one of the biggest advocates of using a lot of power for headroom, you seem to have encountered the risk cats like us take for doing that. I know about where on the dial to stop for my drivers, and i always listen to them, but i could see myself doing the same thing in a loud or sonically cluttered environment. Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you.[/QUOTE][/I]

Unfortunately, yes. Well put.

7. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I've got a pair of the Bergantino HT112's. I do worry about them a little. But they don't seem to be as fragile as one would imagine given their size. But I found that they sound kickass with some power going at them. ;)

8. I really blasted them, and can't blame anyone else, that's for sure. It was a double dumb move in the fog of a late, late night.

I was standing around for 10 minutes or so listening to the drum solo, which kept getting louder & louder with cowbells and a mic'ed cahon along with traps & everything else, and first I opened up the gain on the bass, and then I opened the amp up a bit just to be sure I had enough juice ready to go... and fer sure, the bear growled once & ate me.

I'll call Jim tomorrow, and I'll gladly pay the price. These were the very first pair of 112's. I played through them at NAMM 3 winters ago and fell in love. Jim drop shipped them to me after the show, and Bass Northwest billed me for them, and they have gotten a lot of use.

Aloha,

Jonathan

9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    at least you gave the bear hell on the way down!

hey, a man aint a man 'till he's blown out a speaker with about 1000 watts. talk about cool. :cool: