Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ex-factor

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PasdaBeer, May 14, 2005.

1. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    just a quick question

whats the running price on a used kubricki these days....all of a sudden im in love with headless basses, and the ex-factor in particular.

not lookin for a pre fender or anything, just something *cheap* beat up or what not...

2. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    They go on ebay for around 1000 give or take a few hundred.

3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Fender made basses (late '89 until Phil took back over) are much less expensive, and are not as good. I just sold an early '89 (pre-Fender) for $1000.

4. i disagree, we all know my exploits with the kubicki :D , and i had an early fender (1516 06 89) which was stuart hamms and is now in the possesion of brian barret of the low end, and it was quite amazing, had the joe bardens and all...

PasdaBeer, see brian, i can guarantee its an awesome bass, plays and sounds well, a few dings here and there but one of the best basses ive ever played none the less...only thing is if you can stomache the color ;) :p

5. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I had 1265 (early '89) and 1410 (late '89) side by side for a few months, and while 1410 had jackrabbit low action and was well built, 1265 had way more mojo and warmth. I've played a few other early models and they all had the vibe and tone right on.

1410 was a fine bass, but the ones that came from Phil's shop were something special in my experience.

6. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I've played a couple of both, and the FCS ones, including mine, were well built and had great action. I bought a set of early 'Phil' electronics and pickups for mine, and now it sounds just like the non-FCS versions.

7. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    thanks a lot guys.

Im not to worried about sound pre-se, since i can always switch pups/pre amps my self.

its more so just getting the bassin hands, im digging that headless look atm

8. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    You really wouldn't want to do that with a factor, other than having a Fender preamp replaced with a new one from Phil. Factor pickups and electronics are a VERY important part of the overall factor sound. Plus I don't know that you could find anything that would fit ... they are highly non standard.

9. my fcs one had the prefender preamp and joe barden pickups

10. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    I'm feelin' ya, and if I hadn't the need for a fiver I would have bought an X-Factor a few months ago. My first electric guitar was a Hohner G3t; I've also owned a Steinberger XQ bass and GM4T guitar. I like having something "different," and being headless definitely fits the bill. A Kubicki is still on my GAS list, but instead I bought a Dingwall Z1 five string. It has unmatched playability, IMO, and the fanned frets give me that "differentness" as well. I needed the extended range along with a genuinely playable B string otherwise a Factor would have been it for me.

Best wishes on your search for one,

Eric