Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ex G&L L2000 player..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Mar 5, 2003.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    Why did you sell you L2000?

i ask this because i have a lovely G&L L2000. it has superlight swamp ash body with premier features such as Jazz style neck, a rosewood fingerboard with no dots and a nice matching headstock.

The sound that comes from this bass is wonderful, a more aggressive Fender tone which i love. i have no complaints avout the sound, absolutely.

downsides are that i have not a great feeling when i play my L2000. after a couple of pro setups the action seens to be a little too high (and i like not that low action...), and i have this feeling that i am not playing a great neck, even if the neck is good. tried differet gauges of strings, different setups, but i have always that noise of strings against frets (note that this noise is the quite normal noise and it is not amplified by the amp, but my Fender Precision, my rickenbacker and my warwick have not this issue...)

i have no idea if my words are due to exxagerated ideas or not. i would like to know if i am the only one to have had this feelings.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, the action on mine was great, it sounded killer, and was overall a very nice bass.

I sold it, because the next week, my Ibanez ATK came in, and in my style, and my tastes, the ATK was better. I think overall the L2000 was a better bass, but it just didn't have that mojo that the ATK does.

I'd own another one.

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I sold my L2500 mainly because I wanted a Q5. But also my L2500, solid ash w/ maple board, was a super-aggressive bass. I was looking for the ultra-clean, modern tone and the L2500 couldn't pull it off, IMO.

The B string was tight and above par with those in its class, but tonally separated from the other four and a touch muddy.

I do often regret selling it. I play a friend's every once in a while and reminisce. His has a laminated top and a rosewood board, creating a little softer tone. I like it better.

Chas

4. Well, like all makes of basses, a given model can vary from one to the other.

I have a swamp ash L-2000 and a tilia/ash-top L-2500. I've never really taken all that well to the tone of the L-2000 but I love the sound of the L-2500. Normally, I much prefer a 4 string bass over a 5, but in this case, the 5 sounds much more natural and warm while the 4 sounds brittle and harsh at times.

The most significant difference between them is the body wood, so maybe that is a key factor. I'm sure if I had an L-2000 that sounded like my 5 string, I'd never put it down.

5. Arlech

Arlech

Dec 19, 2002
    I have a recently purchased alder body L2000, and for overall tonal versatility and workmanship, it pretty much beats out every other bass I've owned/tried. As far as the neck, it has taken some getting used to, since it's the wider neck...wider than a Fender P-bass, which is as wide a neck as I had ever previously played. And the only other minor nit-pick is that the edge of the fretboard is rather squared off, versus rounded off, or "rolled" like the current production Fender American Series, so it's maybe not quite as smooth feeling as I'd like (but it is still smooth enough). But action/set-up wise, it's been great overall. Even after I changed out the strings to lower tension TI flats, all I had to do was adjust the saddles to the desired height, and the action has been nice and low, with no fret buzz anywhere along the neck.