Exact carpeting for Velcro to stick to?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DDXdesign, Jun 26, 2019.

1. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Vegas
    So, once in awhile I'll see someone ask about the type of carpet to use on a board to stick their Velcro to. But the answers are almost invariably vague, like 'get indoor/outdoor carpet' or 'get the stuff that they use to cover cabs' and so on. Does anybody out there know the exact right stuff? I've got a couple potential pedalboard projects it would help with. Thanks!

2. gfen

gfen

Aug 21, 2014
    lehigh valley
    stayed at a holiday inn, once...
    Crap leftover carpet squares from your office’s redecorating spree.

3. Phagor

Phagor

Mar 26, 2002
    London, UK
    Buy pedalboard tape - it's stronger so you can use less, and it comes with both sides perfectly matched.

4. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    Office carpet tiles?

However, you'd be better investing in a "proper" pedal board (be it shop bought or custom made).

5. 1. Don't use velcro. Use Dual-Lock.
    2. Loop pile style carpet, you might need a spatula to get Dual Lock off it. And loop pile carpet is as cheap as it gets.

This is pretty much where I'm at. I can shake my board upside down. Nothing moves.
    I built my board maybe 15 years ago, I've only had to replace the carpet once (due to the loop pile losing it's loops with use)

gfen likes this.
  6. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Vegas
    OK, so...
    - I do like Dual Lock. Did not realize it would stick to carpet!
    - Thanks for telling me to look for "loop pile" but knowing my luck there are 478 versions of that and I would buy all but the 3 versions that actually work... Like, specific model numbers at specific retailers?
    - Of course I've had plenty of "proper" pedalboards, but I want something just slightly different, it seems, than what I'm finding in the wild, and this route would just be easier for me than going full custom.

7. I just got mine at a local hardware shop. Less than $10 for a small square.
    My board is just a slab of wood with carpet glued and stapled down essentially.