Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Exact Function Of Preamp Tubes In Mesa 400+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slacker, Sep 4, 2002.

1. slacker

slacker

Nov 27, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    Not as stupid a question as it may first sound!

What do each of the four tubes in the 400+ preamp section do?

One, I believe, drives the power section and should not be swapped out (according to a friend who was told by the factory). The other three are safe to experiment with.

Anyone care to chime in?

2. I am fairly sure it is just two per preamp. You can get yerself a darn rich and meaty tone by plugging into both channels at the same time; well worth it. Don't sweat any tube swappin'..I used to "roll" mine all the time.

3. slacker

slacker

Nov 27, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    I may have to go to the factory with this one. I know all 12AX7 types are more or less interchangable, but I remember Mesa being rather firm on *not* changing the "driver" tube, which I believe, is to the far right. I just wanna be sure.

Thanks, Mad S., I already split my signal, it is a good trick,though. The best of channel 1 (Fatter) and channel 2 (Grindier).

Any tube recommendations?

4. One tube should be a phase splitter. The other three should handle the first, second, and third gain stages for the two channels, as well as the FX loop recovery stages.