Exactly how hi-Fi is ACME?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassline_Delux, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Ok. This is the deal. I'm planning to get this going:

ACME Low B-4

Thing is, for the power, I've heard that Acme puts out what you put in, so I'm hesistant about getting some cheapass power section.

I was gonna go with QSC1450 And BBEMAx preamp. I also considered getting a cheaper thign like this new Kustom 1200W job, and then spending a little more on the preamp, although, from what I've heard on basstasters, I like the BBe max.

I've got nothing agaisnt going used, and I'm a little new on the Pre/power thing, so could anyone gimme a little help?

Perhaps Tombowlus or some other cab guru could suggest somehting..I dunno..
  2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    To be honest, I think that you might be well served by either the QSC/BBE rig or the Kustom head. I have not used either of those products, personally, but I have no reason to doubt that either would sound fine, and from what I have read, both options are strong contenders in their respective price ranges. Have you read up on users' opinions of each? If you find that there is a prevailing description of the tonality of each amplification option, then you can pretty much expect the ACME to translate that sound (plus the sound of your Stingray) pretty honestly.

Ideally, I'd look for something that puts out at least 700 watts into your Low B-4. If you are only going to use one cab, then you probably want a 4 ohm B-4, so that you can get the most out of whatever amp you use to push it.

What is your price range for preamp/amp or head?

3. Yes, I'm looking to go with one cab. And the Low-B4 4 Ohms was was cab of choice.

Well, like I said, used is no problem. (Even though I'm in the UK, all this will be purchased when I move to California.)

Well let me see. I don't have a particular fixed budget, but Probably topping out at $1500(MAX) - for the Pre/power.
  4. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Well, on the head side, you could get an iAMP 800 for that money, which will put out 800 watts at 4 ohm. I really like the iAMP with ACME cabs.

If you went for a preamp/power amp, on the amp side, I would recommend a Crest CA9, if weight is not an issue, and a Stewart World 2.1, if weight is an issue. As for a preamp, check out the basstasters shootout. That should give you a rough idea. You should have enough money for one of the amps mentioned above, plus a great preamp - the BBE's seem nice, and you can't go wrong in my book with F-1X, Navigator, Dem 201s, DB 680, etc. Read Purity seems real nice, too.
  5. Thanks man. The F-1X isn't really my cup o' tea. I had forgotten the IAmp 800. I've read alot on it and always drooled about it, just slipped my mind.

MM Stingray4 -> Iamp800 -> Acme Low-B4

6. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    If you get the Kustom 1200, you probably won't need to get a preamp, the one included is very nice and warm. I just picked one up myself, and it's definitely worth a try -- you'll know pretty quickly if it's your kind of sound or not, I was immediately impressed. The EQ is very versatile as well, and at ~750W at 4 ohms, it's a steal.
  7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I semi-recently borrowed LonnyBass' pair of 4 ohm Acme B2s and compared them to a vertically stacked Avatar B210 and EV TL606 cabinet filled with an EVM 15B.

Each speaker cabinet pair was powered by its own channel of my QSC PLX2402. The Acmes had 1200 watts available and the Avatar/EV 725 watts.

While the Acmes went lower, I was surprised at how well my existing cabinets kept up and/or how good they sounded to me...in my bassment with no other sounds happening except my house shaking apart :D

The thing about the Acmes that really blew me away is how clear they are. They reproduce the signal that they're given with beautiful transparency...my existing cabinets were a bit blurry when played side by side with the Acmes...but sound perfectly OK by themselves.

So, to answer your question...I'd say that Acmes are very Hi-Fi.
  8. IAmp 800s, are they widely available used? What about Acmes?
  9. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    My current setup is..

SR5 - Ampeg SVT4-PRO - Acme Low-B4

The sound is truly amazing - very clear and articulate.
  10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    You should be able to find an iAMP 800 used. They come up often enough, if you are patient. Low B-4's are less common, though. And keep in mind, there is a Series I and Series II in the low B-4 (and B-2, the B-1 is Series II only).
  11. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    THIS is THE rig of choice.

the blank canvas of the Acme coupled with the power and versatility of the iAMP? there's NO sound you couldnt find.

wanna have fun? bump up the low mids @ 180 HZ, and LOOK OUT. beefy, punch city... :cool:
  12. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    I don't know about the UK, but the availability of Acmes in the US comes and goes. Sometimes there are quite a few available when checking TalkBass.com, BassGear.com, eBay.com, etc. then there will be none...

Since Acmes are only available direct in the US and through some dealers in Australia, I don't know how many made across the Atlantic...

Andy will ship cabinets overseas but I have to belive that it would be rather expensive... He gives dimensions and weights on www.acmebass.com so you can find out for sure.
  13. I'm gonna move to california soon, so all these purchases will be made there.
  14. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    FYI, i think lead times are about 2-3 weeks. so, you could always call advance, and time the delivery of your cab with your arrival in Cali. ;)
  15. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    You might just want to buy brand new Acmes...the cost difference between a brand new B4 (shipping included in the price) and a like-new B4 that has to be shipped to you is about the same cost as a set of replacement woofers.

If you buy a used B4 that wasn't broken in properly and the woofers are creased, you'll eventually have to replace the woofers any way.

Besides, with new cabinets you get a warranty and a trial period.

Something to think about anyway...
  16. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

billy knows wassup.
  17. Ya, I was just curious about the cabs, I'm pretty sure I'll buy that new. The Stingray I think I'll get new just to indulge :) :) but the IAMp I wanna get used, just for price issues.
  18. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Why the move to California? Doesn't London weather do it for you? ;)

I think the iAmp 800 will sound great with a Low-B4. No doubt about that at all. And it will go loud. But you could get a little more volume with a power amp bridged into it at 1500-2000W. Saying that, if you use the EQ well on the iAmp you should be able to carve your way through any mix with all 800 very low distortion watts.

And I'm sure the iAmp will absolutely smoke the Kustom whose specs are quoted at rather high levels of distortion.

I've pondered getting an iAmp to replace my rack but since they've removed the onboard tuner it's not so tempting, and I do like the protection afforded by the QSC's low cut filters and the sheer headroom my PLX 3002 has.

P.S. Do not underestimate the SWR Grand Prix with a NOS 5751 - bargain hi-fi tone!
  19. Yes, the london weather is just too crap for my brain.... I'm originally from portugal so you can imagine. Plus USC is in California, so I kinda have to go there if I wanna study there :)
  20. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Ecellent choices! +3 for the IAmp 800/B-4 combo. I bought the iAmp (tuner model) specifically to power a (4-ohm) B-4. Andy says 800 watts is the perfect power level for these. Didn't crease any woofers but did manage to blow the crossover fuse once. With the iAmp, you can still add another speaker if needed, and run 1,000 watts @ 2ohms.