Exactly HOW to install pick ups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Albini_Fan, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    This will be my last newbie post here, I swear! I've finally bought a pair of Pups, The Dimarzio Model J's. Except I blew all my cash, and I probably won't be able to go to a repair guy to have them installed. Can I install them myself? I have little or no knowledge of how electronics and wireing work =(

Is there a guide, or something? I didn't know what to search for, I did "Jazz bass pick up installation" guide on google and nothing =( And in here, too. So if there is a post already, I'm sorry.

Note: My bass is a 01 or 02 (Not sure) MIM J
  2. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Sure you can do it yourself, assuming you have knowledge of and acess to a solder(sp?) iron. A lot of it is just common sense. You remove the pickguard, take out the pickups, disconnect the wires from the pickups to the control pot and volume so that you can just completley remove the old pickups, and read the instructions that came with the pickups about where you solder the new connections, and where to ground it and the likes. I a put DiMarzio P in my MIM P not three weeks ago, and it really is not that complicated of a process.

Of course, if you can't solder, and don't have friends who can, save money and hire a professional.
  3. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    It can be complicated if you have not done it before.
  4. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    When just changing pickups, you have an easy job.

All I would do if I were you was to take the pickups out, pickguard and control plate off. You then trace each pickup's wires to where they are soldered. On fender, I believe that the negative is always black. They use white or yellow for pos.

When you identify which is negative, which is positive, take note, then think of the dimarzios in the same sense. Disconnect the neg from the Fender PU, put on the Neg from the dimarzio and so on.

It's a transplant, basically. Check for wiring pictures and diagrams at www.guitarnuts.com , www.projectguitar.com , www.seymourduncan.com , or www.dimarzio.com
  5. your jazz should have a metal control plate which lets you get to the pots without having to take off the splt.
    the engineering part is not hard but watch where you put the soldering iron, it can wander,15-20 watts is ok if you get or borrow one
    2 heads (human) are better than one and i think you may be able to contact a keen and helpful tech type to take you through the steps..then you will be able to do it no problem again.
    only 4 connections to break and remake with the new pups