1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Examples of advanced rock bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Oleg BassPlayer, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Oleg BassPlayer

Oleg BassPlayer

Feb 4, 2016
    Ukraine
    I play in a band which's style can be described as kind of old school hard rock or heavy metal. I'm trying to improve my playing and increase my weight and role in the band's sound. I've been learning slapping, some theory etc. Still I wonder what cool rock bass should look like? Is there place for slapping in rock? More specifically, what bassists/bands/tracks would you suggest to get more understanding of advanced rock bass?

I know it all sounds vague and maybe unclear, but I really just need good examples for inspiration because all rock music I've heard so far has...well, just square bass lines, and bass isn't very prominent in the mix, I mean it's heard and it's cool, but just simple rock bass to support guitar.

Ellery and Stumbo like this.
  2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY

and so on..

3. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    Black Sabbath, especially the early stuff.

alesreaper9, Ellery, AndyLES and 4 others like this.
  4. jasmangan

jasmangan

Jul 13, 2008
    Primus
    Tool
    Rush
    Iron Maiden
    The list goes on and on but this is a start

Phud, squidtastic, AndyLES and 4 others like this.
  5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Pick and learn any 5 early Zep, Sabbath and Rush songs, and then learn this to see what the newer kids on the block are doing these days. Only adding it cuz I had to learn it last night, and think it's a good exercise :):

6. RedJag

RedJag

Mar 2, 2016
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Primus
    Rush
    Yes
    Led Zeppelin
    Muse
    Them Crooked Vultures
    Those would be my immediate picks for bands with standout bassists. There are many others.

7. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Billy Sheehan

alesreaper9, Charlzm and diegom like this.
  8. wizay

wizay

Mar 5, 2008
    Norway
    Mr big!!

Oleg BassPlayer, diegom and Dave W like this.
  9. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    John Entwistle..................Live at Leeds, Summertime Blues.................isolated bass track. Hold on to your butts, kiddie bass players!

My Generation John again.

10. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains

jalapejoe and fretter like this.
  11. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

The three studio albums from King Crimson in the early/mid 70’s with John Wetton, plus all the subsequent live offerings from that period, for old school that will crush your skull. To cut to the chase, get the expanded edition of “Red” with the Steve Wilson remix(check out HIS band, Porcupine Tree, as well). After that, move up to the present day with Animals As Leaders. Don’t pay too much attention to “classic rock radio” with their constricted playlists. You’re only getting about 5% of the whole story.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  12. Michedelic

Also check anything that Julie Slick is doing, primarily alongside guitarist Adrian Belew, who ironically was in the 80’s line up of Crimson. I saw them earlier this year, and she was channeling Wetton’s style but taking it to a whole ‘nuther level. The lady is fierce.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  13. Systolic

Systolic Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    Certainly on the heavier side, but check out the first two albums by Mudvayne. Ryan is an absolute monster with some serious chops.

14. Michedelic

Eventually, you will have to come to grips with the inevitable, maybe not ‘advanced’, but that which cannot be ignored; one album title for you...Ace Of Spades.

Oleg BassPlayer and alesreaper9 like this.
  15. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    If you can play “The rime of the ancient mariner”, you can pretty much play any rock songs.

16. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Oleg: since you are asking for recommendations, I'll give mine: don't spend time learning slap bass. IMO, it's handy for pissing off everyone else in Guitar Center stores on Saturdays, but not much else. I recommend spending lots of time learning scales and arpeggios and melodic bass lines for rock. Check this out for some cool bass playing:

17. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Pino Palladino with The Who, or John Mayer. The guy is a one man blitzkrieg.

18. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    All Who songs should be mixed this way

19. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Biiiiiiiig +1

Pino brings it! (He may look like a dentist, but he can play bass like nobody's business!)

Check him out here with John!

20. Lot’s of great suggestions here!
    I’m going to recommend Maiden again, playing up to their speed will certainly give your chops a boost, and because Steve Harris composes most of the music you’ll gain insight about different ways of slotting the bass in with the band (doubling the guitars, riding with the drum, higher register melodic fills, etc).
    Try Songsterr, lot’s of bass tabs with backing tracks.

Oleg BassPlayer likes this.