Examples of Classic J Bass Tone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LCAirPasta, Dec 12, 2016.

1. LCAirPasta

LCAirPasta

Apr 12, 2016
    I'm sure this has been asked here before but I can't find it. I've seen a few threads about classic p bass tone in rock or rickebacker tones... What about Jazz Basses? I just want to see some examples of what people consider a "classic" jazz bass song or album. It's funny because the three albums I've heard were recorded primarily with a j bass (moving pictures by rush, the first led zeppelin albums, and dani california by the chili peppers) don't really sound alike. IS there even a particular tone that's considered the standard j bass sound??

2. jbd5015

jbd5015

Nov 23, 2009
    Boalsburg, PA
    Problem is, a recording engineer can make any bass sound however they want.

Depending on what the player likes about the J in question will also dictate the sound, strings, which pickup is being used etc.

Typically, most people prefer to play these basses wide open, which gives the bass a warm but clear high frequency response, a tight low end frequency response, and a fairly flat mid response.

That is my opinion at least. That is what i compare to a P, which has a more pronounced response to low mids and mids.

In my experience, the jazz configuration needs a bit of a mid boost for my tastes. The tone can be a bit mellow in the mix, but they do have a wider range of tonal options, obviously, due to having 2 pickups!

LCAirPasta likes this.
  3. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    LCAirPasta likes this.
  4. LCAirPasta

LCAirPasta

Apr 12, 2016
    Awesome, thanks!

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 20, 2022