1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Examples of country music with just bass, drums and one guitar?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lfmn16, Sep 27, 2017.

1. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Anybody have examples of recordings or Youtube videos of the 'big boys' playing country or rockabilly with just one guitar, bass and drums? Most of what I'm seeing or hearing has at least two guitars, usually (for country) steel, fiddle, or other instruments. I'd like to see what the big guns are doing when playing stripped down.

Thanks.

By big boys I mean national acts or legendary guitar players.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Johnny Cash?

GregC, joebar and lfmn16 like this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Chris Stapleton.
    He falls somewhere between country and blues to me. But the songs are great and he's BA....as is his rhythm section.

You could probably pull off a lot of Eric Church stripped down without losing anything. "Carolina" is one.

pjbassist, superheavyfunk and lfmn16 like this.
  4. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Do you have back up vocals?

5. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Thanks!

Gorn likes this.
  6. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Most of his stuff has an electric with him strumming acoustic.

7. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    very limited.

8. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Reverend Horton Heat fits your restrictions.

GregC likes this.
  9. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I don't really know or generally care for country music. I like Johnny Cash though. Thinking of the songs in my head it sounds like they'd be fine with minimal instrumentation.

two fingers likes this.
  10. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    While he was not known for his country work, this one is a serious little country number. It's simple in that it's just a guitar, bass, drums, and steel, but it carries just fine without the steel.

I did this one in a three piece all the time and it always went over well.

As for the older generation of country players, they didn't really did stripped down that often, if ever so it's gonna be kinda hard to find anything not fairly new to fit that bill.

11. Junior Brown. Him on his guitar thing/vocals, upright player (that was the king of walking lines) and a drummer that just had a snare and played with brushes.
    Incredible show when I saw him.

12. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Junior's wife plays acoustic guitar. At least she did every time I've seen him.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    Pdaddy1978 likes this.
  13. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Country with only one guitar?
    That's a sacrilage. lol

14. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I was in a band that did modern country with one guitar - She's Country, Hicktown, stuff like that.

Suggestion, use bright round wounds strings, and finger the fifth and/or octaves when you can. Helps fill out the songs, especially during solos.

bryan gibson likes this.
  15. OP, you mention rockabilly. Stray Cats. Modern rockabilly with guitar, double bass and drum. Most Rockabilly bands are trios.:cool:

GregC, bryan gibson, gln1955 and 2 others like this.
  16. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Necessity is the mother of invention.

two fingers likes this.
  17. TrevorR

TrevorR

Oct 3, 2015
    Near London, UK
    Took the words right outta my mouth!

18. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I was in a power trio when The Allman Brothers made a comeback with the "Where It All Begins" album. We pulled off several songs from that album with drums guitar and bass. It can be done. :thumbsup:

(It made for a fun bass line and singing adventure doing Soulshine. Like doing long division in your head.)

lfmn16 likes this.
  19. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Both of you took the words right out of my mouth:)

We do couple of Stray Cat tunes - fun stuff.

TrevorR likes this.
  20. I've been doing this very thing for about 25 years, LOL. Not a "big-gun" by any means though. Just remember the Nashville saying "it all starts with the song." Guitarist has to play differently to fill space, as does the drummer. Backing vocals are a must as well. I also like to do fretless to add a little nuance and melodic "shading." Examples of 3 piece (or 3 + some minor acoustic guitar rhythm) are mostly covered above. Old Johnny Cash, CCR, Stray Cats, Junior Brown, Unknown Hinson, even Keith Urban with The Ranch.

lowplaces likes this.