1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Examples of extreme fuzz, distortion or overdrive in commercially successful music.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by two fingers, Jan 31, 2018.

1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Suspended Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Having put together a board last year, and being kind of a nerd when it comes to making purchases (tons of research), I have watched a gazillion pedal videos. And in almost every video, the guy doing the demo spends most of his time on (what I consider) some extreme tones. I'm talking just all out can't tell one note from the next kill babies and eat them in ice cream type tones.

Now, I realize that we don't all just play for cash and/or fame. And I'm not here to disparage any styles of music. I like all kinds of music.

But I am a curious guy. Are there any examples of commercially successful music that uses super heavy fuzz or distortion on bass? If nothing else it will give me an excuse to get closer to the other end of what my TAFM was designed for.

Edit: @Roy Royerson makes a good point. I am happy to check out examples from any genre or time period.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    Dean N and cataract like this.
  2. rjovin

rjovin Supporting Member

May 27, 2011
    tampa, fl
    not sure what you would consider commercially successful but russian circles did 3 tours (as well as some of small club headliner tours, i got to see them twice) this past year with mastadon.
    brian cook, in my opinion, is a master of heavy dirt on bass.

3. This may not be eat your baby type tones and not exactly what two fingers mentioned so sorry to sort of change the subject, but to answer the title there’s examples of fuzz and there’s plenty of distortion and overdrive stuff.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  4. The list is actually pretty long. Bootsy did plenty. Mayfield’s stuff is the first bass fuzz I can think of but also if you get technical most of Jamerson’s stuff with Motown had natural compression and a bit of hair on the bass from a bit of overdrive. Of course here’s some examples from flea and he’s got plenty more.

And here’s Duck Dunn playing some strong bass drive stuff that was mildly successful

5. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood

pcake, Wolford, Gasman and 27 others like this.
  6. Chris Wolstenholme is well known for his love of bass fuzz and dirt.

Wolford, ccbass71, Leep_Dog and 7 others like this.
  7. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    I’m assuming your title is a euphemism for “pop” music. Plenty of really dirty metal guys have had heavy sounds with iconic and/or crossover hits. Motörhead’s Ace of Spades. Type O Negative had a few breakthrough tracks, as did Marilyn Manson, NIN, Ministry.

I’m not a fan, but I’m guessing you’ll get some track suggestions from Queens of the Stone Age, Muse, and some other more “pop” approved “rock” bands.

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Suspended Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I'm talking about whatever. No rules. I'm mainly curious about songs and/or artists who have been kind of "household names" so to speak. Not that I mean every grandma on Earth knows them but commercially successful. Tons of streams, air play or YouTube hits. Millions of fans over the years.

monsterthompson likes this.
  9. Listen to Marilyn Manson's "This is the new *hit". I like the song and the bass distortion is ferocious.

11. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    Jack White's James Bond theme song had fuzz bass on it – that's a pretty mainstream use...

I'll find a youtube link on my lunchbreak shortly.

Skylear, joker820 and two fingers like this.
  12. Now I'm going to work "eat your baby into my vocabulary. That made me laugh.

Mktrat and two fingers like this.
  13. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Lots of Tool songs, such as:

Spectrum, Wolford, ZmeBass76 and 4 others like this.
  14. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    The Muse song everyone pointed out would probably be the most visible song with fuzz.
    For Whom the Bell Tolls and Anesthesia Pulling Teeth by Metallica are songs that are sort of a right of passage for young rock bass players.
    Troy Sanders uses fuzz frequently, although the album they just received a Grammy for doesn't have much. This Grammy was a "better late than never" award like last year's Megadeth win.
    My impression is that Weezer and Mars Volta use drive, but someone that knows their work more would have to confirm that.
    That's all just bass. If we are talking guitar as well, we will be here a while.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    alesreaper9 and two fingers like this.
  15. allenhumble

allenhumble Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    Not necessarily topic related but I love throwing a phaser in with fuzz. Great combo

uncletupelo, neuman, oldcrony and 5 others like this.
  16. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Good call. This here is a Russian Muff IIRC.

17. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Commercially successful a hundred years ago, but still:

18. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    right, here's that Bond theme:

two fingers likes this.
  19. bassplayer2014

bassplayer2014

Jun 7, 2014
    Arizona
    N.I.B.

20. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I’m thinking the Beatles in the song: Think for Yourself.

Features two bass tracks: standard bass track and a fuzzed bass track for the lead line. (It’s an interesting song in other ways too. Go look it up.)

Word is this was the very first time the fuzz effect had been used with a bass in a recording.

That was also the first time I ever heard a fuzzed bass…and one of the relatively few times I liked the way it sounded.

Londo Molari, mac10, Eikari and 9 others like this.