Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Examples of Flatwounds?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ian_Currie, Feb 25, 2002.

1. Hi,

I've been using roundwounds and have recently realized that I have no idea what flatwounds actually sound like. I'll probably try them - if only for the education, but I'm curious if anyone knows any popular recordings which would be good examples of flatwounds.

Since I've heard flatwounds have less high end, I'm wondering if Paul McCartney's sound (when with Wings) would be an example of this. I know he often used a Rickenbacker, but he didn't have much high end...

Thanks in advance for any insight...
    Ian

2. Off the top of my head, I'd say listen to most of the Eagles recordings. One song in which you can clearly hear that the bass player is using flatwounds is on "After the thrill is gone." In fact I think Timothy Schmidt used them most of the time. I'm not positive, but, I think he used a Rickenbacker a lot, but, on the neck pup setting.

A harder recording to find is: "Rock Steady," by Aretha Franklin. That's Chuck Rainey on bass.--- So good. Most of old Motown, most of the Beach Boys and most of the Carpenters recordings with Joe Osborn on bass. Let me add, "A Horse with no name," by America. 99% sure that's Joe Osborn too.
    You gotta love that thump.

Mike J.

3. Any of the Jamerson stuff. I have some sample MP3 on my site.