1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Examples of playing before, on and after the beat

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Emanuel Apascaritei, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Hi all,

I look for examples of playing before, on and after the beat but in gospel and worship music. Can you give me a hand, please.

Thanks I'm advance

2. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    I like John Paul Jone's demonstration at about 12:40

Not gospel, but Led Zepplin, which is holy in its own way.

In my experience ahead / behind / on top of the beat is not so concise - it can't be usefully notated.
    But it's more of a "feel" thing.
    Ahead of the beat = play aggressively
    Behind the beat= play relaxed

And one critical point, clearly demonstrated in the video,
    is is that not all the notes are being played at the same amount behind /ahead.

At least that's how I have come to see it.

3. For the benchmark of playing behind the beat, listen to D'Angelo's - Voodoo CD. The way Pino plays the bass lines on most of those songs, that's what sluggin' that gospel beat is all about. Voodoo is pretty much a gospel record, with a Hip Hop vibe. You should just transcribe every song on there.

To me, "Voodoo" is to Gospel and Hip Hop, as "Kind of Blue" is to Jazz. As a bassist, if you want to play that style, that record should just be part of your DNA.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  4. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Lazy back half of the beat.... awesome groove

joebar likes this.
  5. JamPlay

JamPlay

Aug 9, 2012
    www.JamPlay.com/Bass
    JamPlay Berklee
    Charles Mingus coined an expression entitled rotary perception. He explained it as a circle with a center point. The center is the beat with a circle denoting anything played that feels comfortable yet not on center. If while playing and the center gets amorphous, the center point is redefined and now the ensemble adjusts accordingly. This concept was precient in its depiction of what we now call neo-soul..its a groove that is so addictive. Some folks play to the center, some behind, some pushing ahead. The significant point here is that everyone is aware of center..

Emanuel Apascaritei likes this.
  6. I sometimes think of time keeping in a similar way, except I see time as a clock face with the "second hand" hitting 12 o'clock, in time with the kick drum and snare. If I want to lay back, I put my hits on around 1 o'clock. To push the beat, I play just before 12...

JamPlay and Emanuel Apascaritei like this.
  7. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    that is so laid back that if it were anymore so, they would be in a different measure.

PS-
    if Carolyn Leonhart was in my band, I wouldn't be able to concentrate.

Dbassmon likes this.