1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Examples of pop/ambient/jazz?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Depth_Charge, May 12, 2011.

1. I just spoke to a cover band that sounds very appealling to me, however I'm not sure if I am the right guy for them. The music was described to me as pop/ambient with vocal jazz elements. The sound hinges on 2 keyboards, drums and bass and the band leader told me the bass was the prominent instrument, with most songs having succulent bass lines (her words). She also used descriptors such as "quirky" and "mellow" but also "edgy" and "heavy". Im sure liking the sound of it :)

Coming from a metal/rock background I don't know alot about the ambient/jazz side of things.

Can someone fire off some band names for me to check out while I wait for their song list to hit my email?

Thanks!

2. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    From that description I'm thinking maybe Portishead, Bjork, Cibbo Matto might be a good place to start... or those might be way off. it's always hard to tell when folks start talking about mixing genres that are already as vague as "jazz," "pop," and "ambient."

3. I just got the list. I need to choose 3 from the list to audition in a few days time. I haven't heard any of them. Or if I have, I wouldn't know it :D

All I Need (Air)
    Let Go (Frou Frou)
    Blue Monday (Nouvelle Vague)
    Put Your Records On (Corrine Bailey Rae)
    Waiting Line (Zero 7)
    Chuck E`s in Love (Rickie Lee Jones)
    Distractions (Zero 7- bugz in the attic remix)
    Just a Ride (Jem)
    Summertime Cowboy (Husky Rescue)
    Neurosis (Bitter Sweet)
    Smile (Lilly Allen)
    Danny’s All Star Joint (Rickie Lee Jones)
    Blue Blue Heart (Bic Runga)
    What Else Is There? (Royksopp)
    Lebanese Blonde (Thievery Corporation)
    6 Underground (Sneaker Pimps)
    Ooh La La (Goldfrapp)
    Sun (Lamb)

4. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    that's a pretty cool set list, and pretty 'hip' for the genre. I'd jump at that given the chance (assuming I was interested in a covers gig), and it's not my musical comfort zone either... but just based on their set list I would guess that they are pretty fluent in the style and will likely be a lot of fun to play with.

oh, and I'm happy to see that I was actually right on target with my suggestions. :)

5. They have a core set of 30 tunes and are looking at gigging in 6-8 weeks depending on how quick the replacement bass player can get the tunes sorted.

Should be an interesting night as I'm going to be hearing (and learning to play) a lot of these for the first time tonight.

Thanks.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    YouTube is your friend.