Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

examples of Sweeping

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Suckbird, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Recommend me some sweep picking bassist!
    If i understood it right then sweep picking is when u play alot of notes very fast, i would like to learn some simple sweep picking basslines or maybe the best way is to learn from the guitarists?

Thanks, Sam--

2. Sweep picking is an arpeggiation of a chord, or a scale as you play. Instead of picking every note individually, you sweep the plectrum in the constant back and forth motion, and hammer on and off the notes you play.

I have never seen a bassist sweep pick. And I gaurantee it would sound like ass.

3. I'm a weeping bassist over this thread. ;)

4. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    I've been doing sweep arpeggios since the 80s... although, it's not useful for much. It's on a few nuclear rabbit songs.

I think I did it on one of the conklin cherished challenges. Let me check.

Yep.

http://www.conklinguitars.com/cherishedaugust.html

Granted, it's on a 9-string.

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I thought this thread was about bassists who are also janitors. ;)

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I think what Victor Wooten does during the "verses" of Sinister Minister could be considered sweep picking.

7. Dood, in order to be a sweeping bassist, you need to scallop the entire fretboard, and most definitely use your axe's flamethrower option to batttle mighty 3 headed dragons on yer 3rd album cover.

while wearing spandex.

8. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Well, I can think of two "famous" players who play that technique on bass.

1- Scott Hubell

Here you have two exercises from him:

Ex 1

Ex 2

2- Adam Nitti

Another master of this technique. The intro of his tune "Skitzo" shows it pretty well.

Hope it helps

9. I know a bassist who can do sweep picking on bass.......never seen him do it, but the guitarist in his band told me he can do it.

10. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Hmm, i think i mixed up the words :D
    I meant shredding or shuffling, sorry!

11. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    Sweep technique on bass? What for? You'd better have a 6-stringer for that. Also, sweep picking on guitar sounds impressive, on bass it's more likely to sound like tons of humming.

12. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Sweep picking? What year is it?

13. Waabs

Waabs Employee, Musical Instrument Retail

Aug 1, 2004
    Australia
    Billy Sheehan can do it. I don't have any specific examples but when I saw him in Steve Vai's band he had a solo and from memory he was doing it with fingerstyle!