examples of thumpy bass

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Barnz, May 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Barnz

Barnz

Oct 5, 2013
    You guys have been really helpful in the past. I've got another one for you.
    I play in a rock band, we're quite heavy but not in a growly vocal kind of way. Kind of a heavier Doors/muse but with a bit of Megadeth thrown in the mix.
    We've recorded an album and the mixes are starting to come through. I don't like the bass.
    I use an Ashdown head and a Stingray 5. The studio engineer wanted to use his Trace amp and when I said it wasn't the sound I'm looking for he assured me he can take the brightness off to give the sound I like. Ashdown is a far better sound in my opinion but I went along with it as he seemed to know what he was talking about.
    Anyway, my bass sounds grindy and not thumpy. Typical modern Trace Elliot.
    I want to find an example of a bass thump ( preferably in a modern rock song) to play to him and say 'like this please'. Any ideas what to use? Hard to describe my sound but I kind of get a percussive tone without ever slapping. You can feel it in your ribs! The stingray has great sustain but there is a definite emphasis at the head of each note. Any ideas what to use as an example?

2. aldaa

aldaa Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2017
    Alabama
    Not a modern song, sorry, but this is what comes to mind when I think about "thumpy". If not like this, what's the difference in your ideal tone? Brighter? Kinda clicky?

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Pst a recording of your tone if you can.

How about recording a second bass track on one of the songs with your amp and let the band decide?

4. jking138

jking138

Oct 6, 2013
    Are you using flatwound strings? Thump Isn't usually associated with rounds.
    I play heavy/grungy rock with a jazz bass and flats. At the rehearsal room I use a Trace combo (1x15), I really don't like the 2x10 they have way too much treble.
    I roll off my tone to around 2/3 and with some overdrive it get's pretty meaty with some thump.

If there isn't the option to rerecord ask him to roll off the top end and boost around 200hz, this should start giving you the thumpy sound.

Here's some examples of thumpy hard rock bass, in my opinion:

5. P-oddz

P-oddz

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Tough to envision a Doors/Muse/Megadeth mix (all of these things are not like the other :thumbsup:) but it sounds like he needs to compress, and eq better than what he is currently doing. It's probably a matter of pushing some more low mid punch and pulling some of the high mid and treble attack or at least widening/shifting the EQ curve. Some of it might also coincide with how he is mixing the kick. Did you just record the amp signal alone, or did you have a clean DI signal to blend in as well? If so, the mix of both tracks can help to bring some punch back into the mix. Or a re-amp into a better EQ'ed rig would be an option then with that clean signal.

However (and maybe you're Ashdown gets closer to your ideal tone, but) you might be searching for a recorded tone that your gear is just not capable of. Some examples of what I would consider a punchy bass, or at least a punchy mix (unfortunately these all have a theme in common, and that is not a Stingray through a Trace Elliot head):

More kick/bass thumpy:

Good luck!

6. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I've played Stignray5s (lately also a Sterling5) for the most part of the last 2 decades and I've been recording without an amp since 2004, when I got my SansAmp RBI. I really find miking cabs a hassle and a waste of time given the GREAT mix friendly tones you can get right out of many preamps these days. This is how I sound recorded (on any decent 2.1 you can tell the bass has some WEIGHT)...

... and here's just the clean drums and bass (direct from SansAmp, no post-processing, was just a reference) for the same song so you can hear the kind of crunch that's also going on.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 20, 2022