excellent amp decision

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by davidaaron, Jan 25, 2001.

1. davidaaron

Jan 22, 2001
    Thanks y'all for your help on the power problem question I had.

I have written most manufacturers that did not have specific specs on the web reguarding whether or not I could find an amp that would play both here in the UK and in the states.

Some manufactures did not return the email, but in the end I chose the Ashdown abm500 amp. It requires a simple mod that the Bass Center in London says they charge 10 quid (about $15 for) and it will work fine on US power.

The Ampeg that I liked was too heavy (call me a wimp), the Mo' bass amp has been getting lukewarm reviews for quality of workmanship, and Fafner bass amp guys never returned my email (never a good sign) and neither did the Glock guys (beside their web site was only in German).

I would have liked to hear the Aguilar (sp?) but could not find a dealer here in the UK on their website and never did listen to the Eden amps. Eden amps seem to be at quite a premium here.

Thanks for your help.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Aguilar is the sweetest sounding thing I have ever had the pleasure to put a jack into. The timbre was so fat, thick, and lush that I didn't realize I was playing at seismic volume. I wasn't used to anything being that sonically gorgeous at high volume. Unfortunately, it belonged to the headline band.

When I figure out how to sell my kidneys and still play, I intend to get one.
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The Bass Centre in London has the complete range of Eden amps, I've tried them there and they had some good reductions on them recently.