Excellent Bass for around $1000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickbass, Dec 1, 2000.

1. rickbass

rickbass Guest

hey.. i've been playing for a while now and am getting tired of my cheap squier bass. I'm looking to move up to a better bass. I've played several, and i do happen to like the rickenbacker 4003 bass, but i'd like to know other good basses for around 1000 USD.

- rick
  2. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
  3. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    hey rickbass!! welcome to TalkBass! I see that you want a bass for around $1000?.. I got the PERFECT One for you!! look in to a Salas Custom 4!! I Got my Salas Custom 4 for $919, and after the shipping... case etc... its $1000.00! Here are some of the specs on the bass

Alder Body
    Quilt Maple Top
    Maple Neck with Ebony Fingerboard
    Black Hardware
    Seymour Duncan Bassline Soapbars
    Custom Body(Zon Legacy Style)

The sound is just soooo huge!!! I can't believe it!! I LOVE MINE!!! and I think im the first Salas owner in TalkBass!:D:D:D:D:D well anyways... it has a really really nice slaptone, if you like slapping.. and a nice finger play tone also!! If you get one.. take it to the musicstore and have it set up.... like the action.. neck etc... just watch the guy's face. he will be drooling all over you bass! This Bass is seriously worth EVERY PENNY out of the $919... I think its worth about $1700-$2400 or so.... this is a great great bass! give John DiMaggio a call at BassAlone!! http://www.bassalone.com ... Good luck!!!

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If I was going to buy a $1000 bass, I would just go to every dealer within my area and try EVERY bass costing $700 and up.

If you want specific suggestions, I can guarantee you that if you wait long enough everyone will eventually post their choice in that price range here which will of course encompass all basses in that price range :) So why wait, start looking at basses now.
  5. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I'd wait for the posts myself. Most dealers you visit will all have the same three popularly selling brand names. When I go to the stores around me i find only Ibanez, Yamaha, and Fender. Maybe an Aria if I'm lucky that day.

This board is best used to find out all those nooks and crannies where the good deals are hiding. I mean, yes, you should shop too, but nothing is wrong with getting info on brands you hadnt heard of and dealers you didnt know of.

Good luck!
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

eBay has a Modulus Q5 at $880 (about) when I last looked. I think the auction for it closes in a day or two. Sorry I don't know more about it but I got home from a gig a little while ago and I promised myself I wouldn't get trapped on eBay until I get some zzzz's. That place can be wicked sometimes.

By the by, check out your and my TalkBass names. WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE!

[Edited by rickbass1 on 12-02-2000 at 05:07 AM]
  7. The already mentioned Brian Moore i5 is an excellent choice. Also, the Dean Edge improv is definitely worth checking out! http://www.deanguitars.com
  8. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    The Brian Moore's are made overseas. I TOTALLY agree with DarkMazda, check out John DiMaggio's Bass Alone at http://www.bassalone.com

A student of mine picked up a totally hand made, to order Bone Bass (check out my review in the upcoming Bass Frontiers Magazine) for less than 1,100.

It is an exquisite bass, made totally to his specs. To try and compare a Korean or Chek made bass to Salas or Bone Bass is ridiculous.

As well, John DiMaggio is an upstanding, honest and trustworthy dealer. he make a lot less profit than most dealers. You owe it to yourself to at least call him and talk to him.

Mike Dimin
  10. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Dead Man,
    I do not have a closd mind. In fact I it is just the opposite. But in reality, US guitar builders who are farming out their work overseas are doing so for 1 reason - to create a copy of their original work in a mass production facility at lower labor costs. How else can you get a Brian Moore, MTD or Spector for under a grand. Why do you think all of Fender's lower cost instruments are made in Mexico, Korea or Japan. Does that mean that they are not good instruments - absolutely not. But when the opportunity to have a truly hand made bass such as a Salas or Bone Bass, made to YOUR specifications for the same $, you would be ridiculous not to check it out. These hand made instruments are much more in line with Brian Moore's, MTD and Spector's hand made basses! Tim Salas and Jamie White (Bone Basses) are the up and coming luthiers. They are the next Michael Tobias, Vinnie Fodera, Stuart Spector. This is an opportunity to get in on the bottom floor. To develop a relationship with a luthier not a CNC machine.

So, PAL, if you want to come down on my late night spelling error - go for it. But don't go accusing me of some ethnocentric bias. Stop your crusdade and face the reality.

BTW, the oldest wooden instruments come from Africa, the Far East and the Middle East. Long before the medeival instruments of Eastern Europe.

11. First of all, being that you are a writer for a bass publication and you misspell Czech (chek), it seemed that you did so in a derogatory way. Also, I meant wooden STRINGED instruments. Yes, instrument makers have some lines made over seas for cost reduction pourposes and in most cases they are entirely mass produced. I own 2 Czech made and 1 US made Spector. The US Spector sells for twice the price of its Czech counterpart. Why does the US Spector cost that much more? The figured maple is of higher grade, abalone inlays, more color choices, Pao Ferro fingerboards as opposed to Rosewood. The US is prettier than the Czech Spector and the fingerboard is a tad smoother but that can't be the only difference in cost. Of course, it is labor. As far as sound quality goes, they are dead even. Also, a fair share of hand work is done on the Euro Spectors because the carved back has to be done by hand. I have not played the Salas or Bone basses but I have seen them on the web (they look nice)! I'm sure they sound great as well. I know a few luithiers here in town that build custom instruments inculuding basses and can be had for around $1000. However, if you prefer a bass with a carved back and a laquered finish as I do then the price is significantly increased (over $2500). Not to mention that they would have a hard time to reproduce the signature Spector sound. Being that I'm familiar with the sound of the Dean Edge Improv and the i series Brian Moore basses that is why I suggested them. If you prefer to try before you buy and don't like the hassle of mail order then one would prefer to go that route. Lastly, you can negotiate price better with the Dean and Brian Moore dealers (price, free case etc) and features vrs. hand made quality is usually a trade off for that price as well.
  12. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    C'mon, lets be respectful. theres no need to humiliate anyone here, even if you disagree.

I played a Brian Moore i5 and found it to be a fabulous instrument. It had great construction, fine attention to detail, and it played and sounded exceptional. Yes, it was made in Korea but so what? If it sucked then its easy to blame it on Korea. But if its excellent then who do we credit, huh? thats right Korea.

The Brian Moore i5 is well worth checking out and is a tremendous value for less than $1000 (in my opinion of course).
  13. Korea or any other country for that matter can only build the quality of an instrument as the materials and specs that are given.
  14. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

15. jrock111

Oct 10, 2000
    If your looking at a new Rickenbacker 4003, the cheapest place that I seen and happened to buy mine recently is at Ed Romans World Class Guitars, which is located in Connecticut. I got mine new for $899.00. If you find one cheaper from an authorized dealer, he will beat the price. His web site is at http://www.edromanguitars.com. He rarely answers e-mails so you have to call him.
  16. armax

Jul 15, 2000
  17. bassics

Nov 27, 2000
    Newark, Ohio
    If you like the sound of the Rickenbacker, get it.
    Rickenbacker has a one-of-a-kind sound, NOTHING else sounds like it. If you want to consider other manufacturers, the only way, in the end, to ensure that you get exactly what you are looking for, is to listen to as many as possible.
    go to all your local dealers and take their entire inventory for a test drive. Forums like this one are a great way to get ideas and opinions, but only you know the exact sound/style/feel/look combination that you want.

music is poetry in motion,
    an expression of emotion,
    the application of devotion.
  18. I would have to recommend that you go out there and try as many different basses as you can. Don't focus too much on the price because you may fall in love with a cheap bass or you may decide to save up for a slightly more expensive one. What it all comes down to is how it sounds and feels to you.

I would recommend you try out the Fender Jazz Deluxe year 2000 model. I tried it and really liked the way it sounds and feels. Also, definitely go to the Carvin website and build your dream bass and see what it would cost. Carvin makes some great basses.

Good luck and have fun.

19. VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    Here some of the best basses you'll ever find under $1000:
    (on a scale from 1-10, 10 being 1960 Fender Precision, 1 being a sammick)

-Made in America Pbass or Jazz Bass (deluxe series is even better)8
    -any musicman, there's one on ebay for $800, it's a 91 stingray 9
    -a cheap alembic, alembics generally kick ass and i've seen them under a grand 7
    -rickenbackers are pretty good 6
  20. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Mmm.. Warwicks... :D