Excellent/efficient/smaller cab to use with SVT 300 watt tube head?h

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Luckydog, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Looking for an alternative to my Eden 210XLTs and 8x10 cabs. I'll use the PA for most reinforcement, but would like a clear round punchy tone...not just clack and not just midrange. All of the newer boutiquey cabs like Bergantino, Accugroove, Schroeder, seem to want a LOAD of power, and the SVT tube heads I use are around 300 watts. They do sound great with sealed cabs, but not quite as good with my 210XLT setup. Are there any good efficient cabs out there that will provide some bottom, and will work well at around 300 watts..not muddy? 4x10s maybe? One 210XLT works a little too hard on stage for me, and two 210XLTs don't seem to have "accurate" depth...and sometimes overload the stage with boom. Any suggestions on cabs from those with tube head experience in the 300 watt range?
  2. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I experience the same problem. I have a 680/728. Cabs that I have found that work best have been the aguilar cabs and also the mesa boogie cabs. I've also tried bag end with good results. The big issue as you know is sensitivity. You want to look for something with a high sensitiviy (100+ DB) and around the 300-500 watt range in power handling. I love my berg but it doesn't work well with "low powered" tube amps.

I purposely didn't make any cab size suggestions, because it is really subjective. I use my Db359 with a Gs410 or two GS112s and they sound great!
  3. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    yep I was going to advise similarily, however, the GK Neo series is warm and round without being clacky or boomy. Look at the 2X12 or two 112's.