Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

excellent J pickup comparison article

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RyanHelms, Sep 22, 2003.

1. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Here's some 1999 Bass Player archive stuff. Plenty 'o Bartolini as you would expect. Seymour Duncan Antquity Basslines series got raves. It's worth it just to see the test bass they routed out the sides of so the techs could slide pups in and out! Get out yer routers! Anyway, just wanted to point it out.

http://archive.bassplayer.com/z1999/9903/pickups.shtml

2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI!

Thanx for the thread. I just bought a set of Dimarzio Ultra Jazz p/u's on some advice from a friend. According to the ad, a good choice

Rob

3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I just installed a set of Dimarzio Ultra Jazz in my '79 Fender, and they kill! Just like the add says;) Seriously though, they are really good!

4. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Cool. I figured that was worth pointnig to. You know though, it's one thing to read an article about sound tests in a lab :rolleyes: but it's entirely different to have a guy say "Yeah, I just put a set of ***** in and they smoke!"

DiMarzio Ultra Jazz you say? I'll be checking those out! I wonder why no EMG's.

5. I was hoping to read something about EMG's since i installed some EMG-J's in my MIM last year. i love them. huge difference over the stock ones. 18v of pure power. just wanted to see how they'd hold up in a comparison.....

6. Yeah, why no EMG? I put some EMG's in my MIA Fender Jazz and they had a great "modern" tone, but it didn't really sound like a Jazz anymore! I have the Lace Sensors and they're okay but the outputs not that high. After reading this article I'm strongly considering the Fender Custom Shop 60's!

7. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    "This belongs in Pickups."-SMASH

You're right SMASH, maybe a mod can move it. Sorry for the inappropriate posting.

8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Done!

9. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I have the Dimarzio ultrajazz p/u's in my 2000 MIM jazz bass.

HUGE improvement over the stock single coils-especially with the push/pull volume pots. :)

Tim

10. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    Great review but you didn't give your opinion on the UltraJazz pups of Dimarzio. Have you tried them now?

11. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Interesting take on the EMGs - which I've been thinking about picking up - in fact would have already but the dude popped me $15 shipping charge for a town 3 hrs from here. I shipped 2 sets of pups to New Zealand for under $5. !!!Flakes!!!

I did recently pick up a set of the Lace Sensor's. And yeh, not much output but the tone is almost there. Maybe would be if they were beefier.

12. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    There are no EMGs in the BP Jazz pup shoot-out because they were only comparing passive pickups.

13. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Good reference material!

After reading the bassplayer mag article and doing some research here at TB, I ended up yanking out the 15 year old active barts from my jazz bass and installing a set of passive Seymour Duncan Hot jazz bass pick ups. I've been really happy with them. later, I picked up a MIM P Bass for kicks and put in a set of Seymour Duncan Hot P bass pick ups. Nice warm fat P bass tone with a bit of mid range honk where needed.

Indeed, there are many great choices out there. The Aeros, Lindy Fralins, Nordstrand, and the various vintage and antiquity models probably sound really great too.