1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Excellent Strunal laminated bass

Discussion in 'DB Classifieds Archive' started by The Jazz Lawyer, Jun 9, 2003.

1. I have for sale a very good Strunal double bass. This is a laminated bass with a good ebony fingerboard and strung with Thomastik spirocore weichs. There is not a scratch on this bass.

The sound of this bass is very firm and focused. It is excellent for jazz pizz and amplifies well. It also bows quite nicely.

I bought this bass new from David Gage about 2 years ago and he has maintained it and spent a great deal of time perfecting the set-up for me during that time.

This is an excellent first bass and will continue to hold its value over time.

I am selling this bass for $1750. The bass includes a nice cover, a Fishman pick-up (BP-100) and a good adjustable bridge. I won't ship the bass so you will have to pick up in New Jersey or perhaps we can meet half way if it is not too far.

email with questions.

2. scott reed

scott reed Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2002
    Memphis
    JL,
    How do you like the New Standard La Scala model
    you picked up from Arnold and Wil at the ISB
    Convention so far? It really amplifies well -
    I put a GK MB150 on it at Richmond. I think it's
    a great value even without the bag and pickup!

3. I wasn't able to bring it home with me as I already had my bass and family in the car. hope to pick it up soon. It did sound great in Richmond. I'm looking forward to it!

4. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Thanks, Scott--check is in the mail...

5. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Do you know the model number of the bass?

6. I cannot identify the model number of this Strunal Bass as it is not marked on the instrument. In an attempt to determine the model number, I reviewed Strunal's website which listed the following current models with the following features:

50/1 Top: Resonant Spruce Veneer; Back/Sides: Maple Veneer; Fittings: Ebonized Hardwood.

50/4 Top: Spruce Veneer; Back/Sides: Aningre Veneer; Fittings: Brazilwood or Ebonized Hardwood.

50/6 Top: Spruce Veneer; Back/Sides: Flamed Aningre Veneer; Fittings Brazilwood or Ebonized Hardwood.

*All other models feature carved tops.

NB: "Ebonized" wood means wood which has been painted or stained black.

The Stunal I have for sale simply cannot compare to these new Strunal models as its features exceed all of the above listed models. The bass I have for sale has an Ebony Fingerboard and an Ebony Tailpiece. In addition, the bass I am offering for sale has been upgraded with Spirocore Weich Strings, an improved tail wire, a beautiful European Maple bridge, a Fishman Pickup, and significant set-up work by an internationaly regarded luthier.

The sound of this bass and its playability is exceptional for a bass of this price.

At $1750, this bass is a very good buy indeed.

7. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Sounds just like my Strunal 50/4, which also came with full ebony trim (despite the fact that the Strunal site lists them with ebonized trim). Hope that helps some.

Please consider posting a review of your New Standard when you get it...many of us here would be very interested to know what you think.

8. Thanks everybody for looking, this bass has been sold.