Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Excercises for singing Bassplayers..?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Sojhen, Mar 4, 2003.

1. I am a fairly new Bass player.. And I am planning to start my own band.. I am also a singer as well , I've been in a couple choirs and I've been told my whole life that I can sing. So naturally when I start my own band I'd like to sing as well as play bass. But I know just how hard it is.. Not to mention I've been hearing it's incredably hard by alot of people..
    So my question to you all is... Can any of you help me with tecniques or excercises which can help me with my problem..I've been told to get very familiar with both the vocal part and the bass line and then to slowly introduce them both together gradually... But is there any other ways you guys happen to know about? I've seen so far that there are many awesome bass players on this sight and with over 30,000+ members there has to be at least a fair majority of you that also sing and play bass so.. please HELP! Well I better stop "rambling"
    Thanks alot for your time... :bassist:

2. Coypu

Coypu Banned

Feb 24, 2003
    Sweden
    Learn the basspart until you can play it in your sleep and then the singing part will come naturally with practice. Hard work is the best answer here unless you are blessed with Glenn Goulds genious.

3. bassochist

bassochist

Dec 28, 2002
    Earth
    Coypu has it right there.
    get to the point where you can do the bass part without having to concentrate that much on it. that way you can concentrate more on the vocal part. i often end up singing backup for two of my bands and lead for my little metal solo project, and i have found that one of the best things to do for learning to sing while playing is to practice while watching tv. if you can concentrate on a tv program while playing the bass part, you can concentrate on singing while playing too.
    thats about the best explanation i can give i think

4. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Like the other guys have said, practice the bass part until you don't have to think about it, then introduce the vocal later. This is how I learnt to sing and play 'Superstition', which looks damn good when you pull it off, with all the syncopation etc. My guitarist bro still gets amazed when I do it.

One of the guitarist ways, is to simplify the playing whilst singing, then come in with lick between vocal line, a la 'Crossroads' by Cream, 'Sultans of Swing, and most of hendrix's live stuff. Listen to famous bassists vocalists live work to see how they simplify thier playing whilst singing, then spicing it up when not singing, eg Jack Bruce, Glenn Hughes, Lemmy etc.

A tip a friend told me is to treat the bass like the left hand part of a piano, and the vocal like the right hand. Learn both parts as the same time, slowly, and bar by bar. He sometimes even goes to the point of drawing dots on graph paper, telling him when to play or sing a note on each fraction of a bar.

Hope this helps

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It still is, even if you have!!

6. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    It gets easier the more you do it, so you just have to do it over and over again. Currently I'm singing the melody to "All the things you are" and walking the bass line at the same time at a variety of tempos. I started out by memorizing the chords of the tune so that I could create a walking bass line over the chords without having to think about it and then began to sing the melody while walking. I have no interests in singing this song live, it's more of an excercise to internalize the tune for soloing and comping.

7. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    :D

Glen Gould, known for his singing more than his piano playing :)

8. Thanks guys... It's just that I really want to start my own band but my guitarist does'nt really want to sing.. I've been in a couple choirs plus I enjoy singing... I can't wait until I can get my income tax from my T4 then FINALLY! I can get my 5-string... I know this will sound stupid but I've been playing on an acoustic with only E A D G with fairly big gauge strings ... But sadly it's barely worth practicing on it because they are only large gauge strings to a guitarist... Plus it's hard for me and my guitarist to make up good lyrics and good bass lines and guitar parts.... Man it's going to be a long work filled road... But I love it all... Thanks again...:bassist:

9. fireworks_god

fireworks_god

Oct 30, 2002
    Geezer Butler of Black Sabbath fame started out playing using the four strings off of an electric guitar. It's better than nothing, man.
    :bassist:

10. I'm just really impatient .. And I can't wait to pay the last payment on my Bass guitar... Only $177
    left to go.... That acoustic that I'm using is a $50 buck piece of crap stays in tune pretty well tho.. I just want my bass so bad.. But only another month then I can pay for it with the income tax I can collect...