Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Excercises for the calves

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Davidoc, May 27, 2004.

1. I'm looking for some good calf excercises, to strenghten my legs. I've tried alot of things, (squats, leg extensions etc) but they all seem to focus on different parts of the thighs. (or in the case of squats, lower back, butt etc)

What are some good excercises that focus on strenghtening the calves? Thanks! (I have ample weights at home, a smith machine/pulldowns etc, benches, dumbells, dip thing, etc)

2. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Biking...

3. A big +1!

4. you try calf raises yet? that's pretty much the only way.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA

6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

As you don't belong to a gym, I would say calve raises with a dumbell in each hand. Gyms have some excellent machines that really help you put a lot of weight on the machine to give your calves a killer workout.

But without that, calve raises...meaning raising up on your toes and lowering again for one repetition...will help. When that gets easy, raise up on only one foot...thus that one foot is holding your entire body weight plus the dumbells you are holding.

Know that for some men it is very difficult to increase their calve size. They have to work hard and long at it.

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Walking. I do 2 hours a day.

8. another way to do calf raises is to sit on a bench, and put a weight on your knee. I think that might isolate your calves a little bit more than the standing ones, but the standing ones are easier to do. I usually just let running and biking take care of my calves. Another thing you coudl do is plyometrics(sic), which woudl involve jumping excercises.

9. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I forgot to tell you that you can do the calve raise standing or seated. If you are seated, put the weights on your knees and raise and lower your heels. If you are standing, you may need to hold onto something until your balance is good.

One calve raise I particulrly like is the donkey calf raise in which you bend over at the waist and hold onto soemthing for support. Then you raise and lower your heels in that position. If you have a friend, they can hold on your back or even sit on it if you are super strong to add resistance to the donkey calve raises. DO NOT try that stunt if you have any back problems.

10. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings
  11. Thank you very much everyone, and thanks Boplicity, for the detailed explanation!!!

I think that these calf-raises with dumbells will more than suffice; I did several sets yesterday, (actually, I did them with the front of my feet on a step for a graetly extended range of motion) and I can still feel my calves burning! This definitely is a great calf excercise; thanks!

12. Calf raises and run stairs.

13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    EQUAL FITNESS FOR ADULT CATTLE!!!

14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Up hill hiking, great stuff but you need some strong lungs for that too.

15. juanpauribe

juanpauribe

Dec 16, 2001
    Colombia
    jumpsoles. They increased my vertical leap by 6 inches and the size of my calves considerably. just 6 to 8 weeks of workout too