Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Excessive Fret Noise

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by phishaholik, Sep 14, 2005.

1. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    I am having a problem with too much noise coming from the fretting of the note. It rings out like I am hammering it on. I just bought an Alembic Epic and it is really clear, so all my bad technique is easier to hear. I've gotten better about it by thinking of fretting the note like shooting. Squeeze, don't pull. It's still a problem though. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Basses are noisy instruments. All sorts of clicks and clacks and stuff. The sound of the string banging into the fret as you fret the note is one of the least important noises you need to worry about. But if it bothers you, just try to fret the note at the exact moment you pluck the string and it shoudl clear up a lot of the problems you're having.

3. Your ideas about the gentle touch is a good thought process..

I also find that where you fret a note is important as well as timing like Jimmy says...

try playing more "on top" of the fret" this helps by having your left hand dampen the click and clack a little bit...

smooth playing

If you get too frustrated about fret noise, just go fretless :)